Students volunteer and donate at biannual Red Cross blood drive

Iowa State is hosting its biannual blood drive at Stephens Auditorium on Monday through Wednesday.

Omar Waheed

Hosting its second blood drive of the academic year, Iowa State’s Blood Drive student organization continues its philanthropic cause.

Taking place at Stephens Auditorium, the biannual blood drive has a newer home that allows it to be spread out in a way that keeps students and volunteers safe by adhering to the COVID-19 safety standards.

“Stephens Auditorium is a fantastic place, and we have a lot of parking here that people can access,” said Tyler Watkins, senior in biochemistry and co-president of the Blood Drive organization.

With 700 total available slots to fill across all three days of the blood drive, ease of access for donors can make all the difference for whether or not someone comes out to donate.

“At the end of the day, that’s really what we’re hoping, to just save as many lives as possible,” Watkins said. “It’s probably the easiest 20 minutes of your life that you can do that could be a lifelong impact for someone else, and I think that’s just a really incredible thing.“

While donating is honorable, volunteers work hard to keep everything running smoothly by helping wherever they can.

Jed Tracy, a sophomore in elementary education, worked in the cantina area where donors go to recover and served as a post-donor escort for donors who were unable to leave on their own after donating.

“You can always tell when people are feeling iffy after donating,” Tracy said.

Tyler Mills, a sophomore in open option LAS, volunteered as a part of a larger effort from his fraternity Phi Kappa Psi. Working in the public relations committee, Mills helped get the word out about the drive by keeping info current on the Blood Drive organization’s website.

Enduring the risk of passing out from donating, some donors make it out fine while others meet this possibility. While reasons for donating may vary, what it accomplishes remains all the same.

One such donor who fainted was Skyler Pennock, senior in elementary education. Recovering at the cantina, Pennock shared why she donated today.

“One of my professors talked about it in class and offered extra credit,” Pennock said. “You could either volunteer or donate, and I chose to donate.”

Regular donor Luke Schmitt, a senior in kinesiology and health and a volunteer working in the sponsoring committee, took both philanthropic avenues at the blood drive.

“It’s a pretty easy way to save three lives,” Schmitt said. “I don’t really get affected by it, so might as well.”

The blood drive will continue from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Wednesday. To sign up for a donation, go to the Red Cross’s website.