The Boeing Company commits $6 million to Iowa State

Chris Jorgensen/Iowa State Daily

Dennis Muilenburg, Chairman, President and CEO of the Boeing Company and Iowa State Alumnus, smiles as he is presented with an honorary Doctor of Science. Muilenburg was also the guest speaker for the commencement ceremony.

Jared Coady

The Boeing Company has made a $6 million commitment to Iowa State, according to a press release.

A bulk of the funds will go towards the construction of the Student Innovation Center, due to open in January 2020. Approximately 140,000 square feet, the Student Innovation Center will offer resources to students such as space for individual and group work. The building will also offer labs and workshops featuring state-of-the-art tools and technology, according to Iowa State’s press release.

“The Student Innovation Center at Iowa State University will help encourage innovation on campus and in graduates’ future careers, positioning them for success in STEM-related fields,” said Dennis Muilenburg, Boeing chairman, president and chief executive officer in a press release.

Some of the commitment will also go toward financial support for engineering students looking to improve their education by participating in undergraduate research.

Samuel Schreck, senior in civil engineering, knows how beneficial undergraduate research can be for students.

“It helps you figure out what specialty you want to go into, and helps develop you in a professional way so you know what work is like in a certain field,” Schreck said.

Boeing, the world’s largest aerospace company, is also the leading manufacturer of commercial jetliners and defense, space and security systems. Their commitment to Iowa State will enhance education across all fields as well as support engineering students interested in research opportunities.

“Boeing is committed to inspiring the next generation of innovators and equipping them with the skills they need to excel in the modern workforce,” said Muilenburg in a press release.

This isn’t the first time The Boeing Company has supported Iowa State. Representatives for the company are actively involved in student recruitment, classroom visits, and student organizations. Industry experts from Boeing also serve on advisory councils at the university.

“The foresight Boeing has shown through its long-standing support of hands-on collaborative learning environments across campus and educational opportunities beyond the classroom is a testament to its innovative focus as a company and its commitment to ensuring engineering students are well-prepared for early success in their careers,” said Sarah A. Rajala, James L. and Katherine S.Mesla Dean of Engineering in a press release.