Student Government hosts ‘ISU Budget 101’ event to inform students about university finances

The town hall meeting was held in the Campanile Room in the Memorial Union Tuesday where students were able to talk to senior administrator before the meeting as well as ask them questions.

Madelyn Ostendorf

Student Government hosted “ISU Budget 101″ on Tuesday evening, a town hall-style meeting aimed at where money at Iowa State goes and how to get the best value out of your education.

The event hosted five panelists from different areas of jurisdiction, all of whom gave a small presentation about their area of expertise as well as answered the audience’s questions about residential contract policy changes, Greek life, how funding is delegated throughout the university, where the Forever True funds will be going, student fees and international student opportunities.

Pam Cain, the interim senior vice president of University Services, gave an overview of Iowa State’s budget to give the audience a framework to begin to town hall.

Pete Englin, the assistant vice president of Student Affairs and the director of residence, spoke about the value of on-campus living and the benefits of ISU dining. Having options of on- and off-campus dining and residency also assists in giving current and prospective students the ability to find what fits their budget.

Roberta Johnson, the director of the Office of Student Financial Aid, gave a presentation about the importance of applying for financial aid. Johnson stressed the importance of filing the FAFSA before Dec. 1 in order to be considered for the maximum amount of student aid.

Beate Schmittmann, dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, spoke about the diversity of LAS and how important student success is to the college.

Ann Marie VanDerZanden, the associate provost for academic programs, explained her role coordinating student success opportunities as well as undergraduate opportunities.

Before the town hall began, a survey was available for students to submit questions for the panelists to answer. The submitted questions asked about where student tuition goes, the nuances of student fees, how Iowa State helps prepare students, undergraduate preparation tips, new ISU Dining projects and wellness services for students.

The floor was then opened to students and faculty in the audience to ask questions on topics that they needed clarification on or were not previously addressed.