New superintendent focuses on equitable access

New Ames High Superintendent Julious Lawson earned his doctorate degree from Argosy University in Chicago. Before coming to Ames, he served as chief of schools for Chicago Public Schools.

The Ames Community School District recently welcomed a new superintendent, Julious Lawson. Lawson began his tenure July 1 as the 28th superintendent of Ames Public Schools.

Lawson previously acted as Chief of Schools for Chicago Public Schools, the third largest school district in the United States.

Lawson was responsible for oversight and direction of elementary operations and implemented strategies that centered on equitable access for students to increase academic achievement, according to the Ames Community School District.

Additionally, Lawson served as an adjunct professor at National Louis University, where he coached doctoral candidates in an administration leadership program.

Lawson earned a doctorate in educational leadership from Argosy University in Chicago. He has received honors such as the 2021 Men of Excellence Award from the Chicago Defender and Mayor Rahm Emmanuel’s Principal Achievement Award.

“Dr. Lawson is an accomplished educational leader with a passion for student success and a dedication to working alongside teachers to improve outcomes for diverse learners,” said Sabrina Shields-Cook, Ames School Board president.

Shields-Cook said Lawson’s skills and experience directly met the community’s expressed needs in the next superintendent.

“I am humbled by the Board’s belief in my ability to lead and make Ames Community School District one of the nation’s premier school districts,” Lawson said.

Part of Lawson’s process in taking over as the new superintendent involves implementing a 100-day entry plan.

“The entry plan will provide me the opportunity to listen and learn from our staff, students and school community during my first months on the job,” Lawson said.

Lawson explains that he wants to involve the entire school community in his entry plan so a shared vision for the school district can be understood and worked toward. This community includes students, staff, families, caregivers, community partners and business leaders.

With this plan, Lawson hopes to find issues that can be immediately improved upon and create a strategy to ensure each school in the district thrives.

“I hope to earn your trust and support as we pursue our mission to provide equitable access to learning that empowers every student to reach their full potential,” Lawson said.