What’s important to you in your home?

Rebecca Rimathe

There are many things that are important in a home, such as a big kitchen or personal bathroom, but for others, it goes deeper. Emma Keurli, a sophomore in agriculture business said, “The most important thing in my home is the people.” Creating memories in a new place can quickly turn a regular apartment into what feels like home.

Senior in biology, Joel Yeager, also values good company in his home but when asked what’s most important, Yeager said laughter. Filling a home with laughter creates a more relaxing environment that can help you de-stress after a full day of classes.

Not only are friends important in a home, but also how they act. Gus Mroz, a senior in civil engineering, stated, “I’m a big fan of respect.” Keeping a mutual respect for items and people can go a long way. Establishing early on with roommates the expectations for the home and each other can set up smooth sailing for the rest of the year.

Allison Curry, sophomore in industrial design stated, “A place with a homie atmosphere and feels comfy.” Putting a personal touch on your apartment can go a long way when you are decorating. That could be putting up pictures or fun lights, anything that reminds you of home. With winter right around the corner, Curry is prepared with candles and warm blankets to make her apartment feel more like home.

Hannah Brecht, a sophomore in pre dietetics said, “A big fridge is the most important!” With a major in pre dietetics, Brecht values food and enjoys cooking. Kitchens can have a big impact when deciding where to live. First, you should ask yourself how much you usually cook and if you plan to eat on campus frequently. That should help you decide the type of kitchen you are looking for.

There are many things that go into choosing an apartment. For Sydney Boyle, a junior in biology explained how natural light is important to have in a home. She reasoned with, “I’ve watched a lot of HGTV.” Now, you may not be able to install marble countertops in your apartment, but many TV shows offer tips and tricks to upgrade your home without actually doing anything.

For example, adding mirrors could make a room look bigger or by hanging shelves, it can de-clutter your home. For Chris Eliakis, a senior in history and international studies, keeping things organized and clutter-free is a priority for him. “Cleanliness is important in my home. I try to keep my area clean,” Eliakis said. A good first impression of your home can start off with a simple and clean commons space.

Noticing and sharing what is most important in your apartment can help create a better home. Whether you are looking for an apartment or currently have one, articulating what is important to you allows you to feel ownership and in control of the place you’re living in.