Sophomore earns top five spot in division powerlifting competition

Courtesy of Connor Thelemann

Connor Thelemann, sophomore in kinesiology, earned a top five spot in his division at the USA National Raw Powerlifting Competition in Spokane, Washington.

Adolfo Espitia

Among the more than 1,000 qualifiers for the USA National Raw Powerlifting Competition two weeks ago was powerlifter Connor Thelemann, a sophomore in kinesiology. 

The competition, which was Thelemann’s fourth, was held in Spokane, Washington from Oct. 11 to 14. There, Thelemann earned a top five spot for his division. 

Training three hours a day for four days a week, Thelemann took advantage of the Iowa State weight club’s training room to prepare for competition.

With the assistance of other members and his coach, Thelemann vastly improved within a year. Despite an unexpected injury a week before competition, Thelemann managed to squat 507 pounds, bench press 367.7 pounds and deadlift 551.1 pounds, landing him in the top five for his division.

Thelemann began powerlifting when his sister’s boyfriend introduced him to the sport back in high school.

Joining a gym dedicated to powerlifting near his hometown, Thelemann knew he had a long journey ahead of him. Thelemann said he began squatting only 300 pounds, benching 200 pounds and deadlifting 400 pounds. When he came to Iowa State, he found and immediately joined the weight club to continue powerlifting.

Located in the basement of Beyer Hall, the weight club contains equipment specifically for strength sports, such as powerlifting.

President of the weight club and senior in kinesiology, Austin Aiello, said that the weight club also provides a unique environment for serious lifters.

“The weight club can have a much more excited and loud environment that a lot of people like,” Aiello said.

After joining, Thelemann wanted to get as strong as he could and succeed in lifting. Through the weight club, Thelemann met other serious lifters and his current coach.

Thelemann said he received lots of support through the weight club, with other members giving him advice along the way.

“You have to accept the fact that you don’t know everything,” Thelemann said. “You have to seek out advice from people who are at a higher level than you in terms of experience and in terms of strength and general knowledge about the sport.”

With a hunger for success, Thelemann had to sacrifice his social life for optimal growth.

Weston Hirschauer, Thelemann’s coach and Iowa State alum, said Thelemann was among the most motivated lifters he had worked with.

“He went above and beyond what I would ask him to do in terms of making sure he was taking care of himself, not only inside the gym but outside the gym,” Hirschauer said.

Thelemann had to follow a balanced diet, spending an average of $50 to $60 a week. Diets vary with each powerlifter’s individual goals, for Thelemann, he had to have a surplus of calories to add muscle and weight.

Thelemann said he had to eat roughly 3,500 calories a day to see desired growth.

Thelemann’s training and progress was going seemingly well, until he experienced an unexpected back injury before competition.

Powerlifters are more prone to injury, due to the immense stress and repetitive movements, Thelemann said. After competing in three competitions and training intensely within a year, Thelemann’s body ached.

What started off as an irritation, slowly ballooned to a sharp pain in his lower back.

Unable to practice before the competition, Thelemann questioned whether he would be able to compete.

After consulting with Hirschauer and resting prior to the competition, Thelemann was determined to compete. Bringing his father, Thelemann knew he had a strong support system.

With the support of his family, close friends and coach, Thelemann decided to compete, lowering his weights to avoid further injury. With a rush of adrenaline, Thelemann earned a top five spot for his division.

“I couldn’t put up the best total that I was capable of,” Thelemann said. “It was more about getting through the adversity of the injury, handling the meet by myself and calling the right plays.”

What’s in store for Thelemann? Thelemann said that getting back to his social life and school is most important. After a break from working out, Thelemann said he is excited to get back into the gym, cutting his usual work outs by an hour or two.

“It’s a huge weight off my shoulders,” Thelemann said. “It’s nice to make different plans, it feels good to have a little break.”