A look at how students get across campus

Iowa State has hundreds of students walking across campus each day. However, several students have faster solutions to travel to make sure they can make it to class on time.

Many students use bikes, skateboards and scooters because they are more efficient than other methods of travel. It’s faster than walking but still a healthier alternative to taking the bus. Students also feel they have more control over their schedules when they do not have to wait for the bus to arrive.

Christian Martinez, a freshman studying chemical engineering, is one of many students who move around campus with a skateboard.

“It is difficult to go uphill since the slope is going upward, but skateboarding on a smooth surface helps pick up speed,” Martinez said.

For Martinez, a skateboard is a favored transportation method to get around campus because it makes it easier to travel long distances. There are also many models to pick from depending on the rider’s needs.

“Based on your preference, you can find a model that goes fast or helps make quick turns when you are going around,” Martinez said. “I find a basic skateboard to be an excellent first choice, as it keeps travel simple and efficient.”

Aside from skateboards, students also like to use bikes.

“Taking a bicycle is the fastest way to get around campus,” Edward Shea, a sophomore studying chemical engineering, said. “The biggest difference is getting around campus and watching out for roadblocks.”

In addition to looking out for roadblocks, Shea must be more mindful of the weather. To help with this, Shea added bike fenders to protect himself from mud and rain when the sidewalks are dirty or wet.

“The only downside I see is there are no cross Central Campus cross routes,” Shea said. “Not to mention [bikes] are rather expensive, but it’s not hard to find cheaper prices. I recommend looking on Facebook Marketplace, as bikes everywhere else will be a bit pricey.”

The same can be said for skateboards, as new models cost around $400. However, students can also find skateboards on Facebook Marketplace or other second-hand shopping websites.

The final popular mode of transportation on campus is a scooter. A handful of people can be seen on manual scooters, but electric scooters are more popular among students.

“It’s one of the easiest and safest ways to move around Iowa State,” Elli Allen, a junior studying apparel merchandise and design, said. “I recommend doing research to find the right distance and mileage.”

Allen owns an electric scooter to get around campus. It has improved her travel speed, which saves her more time to prepare for campus activities.

“It took me a while to get to class the first time, but I feel good knowing that I can travel without encountering foot traffic,” Allen said. “A scooter can be used by anyone without any training. You have more reliable features compared to other things.”

Specialized modes of transportation are beneficial for students with busy schedules or for students who are hoping to sleep in a few extra minutes before class.