Disappointments continue for Iowa State soccer after overtime loss to Baylor

Then-freshman Courtney Powell lines up for a shot against University of Northern Iowa goalkeeper Jami Reichenberger on Sept. 16, 2018. Iowa State lost 0-1.

Zane Douglas

Iowa State soccer took the field against No. 24 Baylor on Sunday afternoon, and even though everything seemed to click for the Cyclones, the Bears snagged the win.

The Cyclones lost their second game of the weekend, and it took overtime to decide it.

“I’m just kind of tired of losing,” said sophomore forward Courtney Powell.

Powell tallied four shots with one of them being on goal, and she also scored the only Cyclone goal of the game.

After a scoreless first half, it had all the makings of a defensive battle, but Powell broke the tie in minute 48, thanks to a perfectly placed entry pass from senior forward Klasey Medelberg.

Iowa State controlled things early on in the second half, but the top scoring offense in the Big 12 could not be contained.

The Bears struck in minute 69 with freshman midfielder Giuliana Cunningham finishing off a header past Iowa State’s sophomore goalkeeper Dayja Schwichtenberg.

Baylor took its momentum and ran with it for a brief period of time. Iowa State’s defense did a good job keeping the game tied.

Medelberg specifically has stepped up in the last couple games for the Cyclones, recording an assist in each game this weekend.

“I think finding the through balls is really important,” Medelberg said.

Iowa State tallied its highest shot total of conference play, but Baylor was still able to outshoot them 28-10.

In a game where the Cyclones felt they performed well, it can be frustrating to come out on the losing end.

There have been a lot of frustrating losses on the season for Iowa State, and the season is dwindling down fast.

The Cyclones have had defensive struggles this season, and a game against Baylor is an especially tough matchup on the defensive end, but Iowa State was able to hold the Bears for most of the game to at least force overtime.

“They’re very much a kick and run team,” said senior defender and captain Jordan Enga.

The Cyclones again gave up a lot of shots, but they were able to minimize the damage, thanks in no small part to Enga.

Baylor ended the game with a long strike from freshman forward Taylor Moon.

Coach Tony Minatta was impressed by the Cyclone defense on Sunday.

“It depends on what quality of shots they get,” Minatta said. “We didn’t give up a lot of quality shots today.”

Iowa State has four games remaining before the Big 12 tournament, and it hasn’t won a conference game.

For the Cyclones, it has been a series of disappointments this season, from key injuries, to untimely goals resulting in heart-breaking losses.