CALS career fair to take place on Tuesday

Abigail Schafer/Iowa State Daily

Students wait to speak with representatives from the 101 businesses that came to the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Career Fair on Wednesday. The fair lasted from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on February 1 in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. 

Katie Brinkman

The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) is hosting its career fair from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Lied Recreation Center.

“There are 275 companies coming to this career fair,” said Mike Gaul, director of agriculture and life sciences career services. “This is our second largest career fair ever, and I’m super thrilled.”

The CALS career fair remains the largest career fair in the country. Gaul said he believes the quality and professionalism of students and the programs they’re involved with are the reason behind this success.

Iowa State’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences has the “third largest undergraduate student body among agricultural colleges in the nation,” according to a press release.

Placement for undergraduates in CALS hit a record 99.2 percent, and it has been 97 percent or higher for 20 consecutive years, according to the press release.

Gaul also had some tips for students attending the career fair. A student needs to confidently sell themselves to companies by mastering their 60 second elevator speech, and when offered an interview, students need to capitalize on those opportunities, Gaul said.

“Students need to do their homework before attending the career fair,” Gaul said. “They should know what they’re looking for in a company and know a little bit about the companies they plan to talk to.”