Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones fall to Sun Devils to open series

Jacob Rice/Iowa State Daily

Angelina Allen plays first base during the Cyclones’ 11–1 loss to Oklahoma State on April 10 at the Cyclone Sports Complex.

Pavle Markovic, Sports Reporter

Iowa State started a three-game series in Tempe, Arizona, Friday as the team fell to the Arizona State Sun Devils 9-5. The Cyclones now hold a current season record of 6-5 following the loss.

Cyclones offense surges in the third inning

Iowa State found itself down by three runs entering the third inning as they scored five runs to take a 5-3 lead. Sophomore first baseman Angelina Allen started off the scoring in the third with a two-run home run to close the gap against the Sun Devils to trail by only one run. 

Senior shortstop Alesia Ranches was able to bring in another run as she hit a single to tie the game up at three. Senior Carli Spelhaug gave the Cyclones the lead as she hit a double that scored two runners making it 5-3 in favor of Iowa State. 

The Cyclones dominated the third inning as they scored those five runs on five hits.

Pitching staff struggles to keep the ball in the park

The Iowa State pitching staff had a rough day, giving up nine runs on nine hits to a now 9-2 Sun Devils team. Six of the nine runs were scored by home runs as Arizona State hit three home runs in the game. 

The Sun Devils even found themselves down by two runs after the top of the third inning but found a way to rally back to eventually beat the Cyclones by a score of 9-5. The Cyclone pitching staff looks to improve as they will have a doubleheader Saturday to finish off the series against the Sun Devils.

Doubleheader to finish off series in Tempe

Iowa State looks to shake off the loss as it will face Arizona State on Saturday in a doubleheader, as the team looks to win the series against the Sun Devils. The first game will begin at 3 p.m. and then will be followed by the second game which is currently slated to start at 5 p.m.