StuGov passes trademark resolution requesting the university halt further implementation of new policy

Vice President Juan Bibiloni presides over the Student Government for their first meeting of the semester in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union Wednesday night.

Madelyn Ostendorf

The Senate discussed, amended and ultimately passed a trademark resolution Wednesday evening that recommends the university halt the further implementation of the newly adapted policy and bring clarity to the original purpose of the policy change.

In addition to passing the new trademark policy, also Student Government sat a new member and approved two funding requests at its weekly meeting.

Several members of NORML attended the meeting to speak about the impact of Iowa State’s new trademark policy. They talked about how the trademark policy affects the recruitment ability of clubs, as well as creates a disconnect between the clubs and the university and may retract some reputability of the clubs.

Senator Courtney Beringer moved to amend the resolution to include the following statement:

“We ask that the Trademarking and the President’s Office be the primary source of funding and distribute the funds for organizations to redesign logos and purchase new materials to be in accordance with their policy.”

The amendment was passed unanimously.

Senator Maria Alcivar proposed an amendment to adjust the amendment to allow any organization established prior to the settlement of the lawsuit to be grandfathered into the old trademark policy. Senator Sandeep Stanley proposed that the specific date of January 16, 2013 be included in place of “the lawsuit.”

“It shows the administration that we are paying very close attention, and we will continue to do so,” Speaker Cody Woodruff said in regards to the date change.

The amendment to the resolution passed.

Senator Ihssan Ait Boucherbil proposed an amendment to add President Wendy Wintersteen to the list of individuals this bill will be sent to upon the passing of the resolution.

“President Wintersteen was the one who brought them up to the table, so I think she would like to be kept up to date,” said Senator Wyatt Scheu.

The amendment passed unanimously.

Woodruff proposed two additional amendments to the resolution. The first amendment said, “We highly encourage students on campus to play an active role in these conversations and on all issues and relevant discussions that impact the people we have been elected to represent.”

The first amendment was passed.

Woodruff’s second amendment said, “We express our gratitude toward the administration and all they do for students in terms of services and input, but know there is always room for growth and improvement on both sides.”

The second amendment was rejected.

The resolution, with the approved amendments, passed through the Senate by a vote of 32-0-0.

“Students have reached out about this issue,” Woodruff said. “When was the last time they expressed this much frustration about an issue to any of us? I have gotten more emails in the past two weeks about this then I have on anything in my time on Student Government and that’s saying a lot.”

Eight members of Student Government gave a presentation about the Big XII  Student Leadership Conference where they attended several breakout sessions to continue improving their leadership skills in various areas and spark conversations about various initiatives between the Big XII schools.

Chase Krug, a freshman in agronomy, was seated as a Senate member of the Election Commission.

Krug was received to the commission with a vote of 30-0-3.

Two funding bills were voted on during the Senate meeting. Both Cardinal Eats and the Freshman Council came to ask for funding from Student Government.

Cardinal Eats is seeking $5,000 to assist with the printing and production costs of their free, food-centric magazine.

The funding request was accepted with a vote of 33-0-0.

The Freshman Council, a body comprised of freshman-level students at Iowa State, is requesting $1,119 to fund items for their 12th annual Jingle Jog. They intend to use the funding to purchase lights, food, drinks and tee shirts for the participants in the Jog.

After a discussion over the purpose of the allocation of funds raised by the Jingle Jog, the request was rejected with a vote of 7-19-7, as the event’s purpose is to fundraise a scholarship that is currently only available to members of the Freshman Council.

Three pieces of new business were read into the Senate, including “Amending the Practice of Student Organization Debt Contracts,” “Regulating the Use of Cigarettes on Iowa State’s Campus” and “Time Limiting Committee Reports and Comments from the Executive Branch.” Four new funding requests were also read in from the Racquetball Club, the Peterson Squadron, the Hockey Pep Band and the Multicultural Greek Council.

For more information or to contact your senator, visit stugov.iastate.edu. The Senate meetings are open to the public on Wednesday’s at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.