Next in line: Tyrese Haliburton learning from veteran guards heading into season

Tyrese Haliburton poses at the 2018 Men’s Basketball Media Day.

Aaron Marner

Iowa State has had a strong tradition of great point guards over the last two decades.

Ranging from Jamaal Tinsley to Monte Morris, four Cyclone point guards since 2000 have played in the NBA. Lindell Wigginton could be the fifth.

But what happens after Wigginton and redshirt senior Nick Weiler-Babb leave?

The next point guard in line could be a lanky, 6-foot-5 freshman who is running the second team in practices this season.

Even though he has only been on campus for a few months, Tyrese Haliburton is already making an impression on coaches and teammates.

“I really like Tyrese,” Wigginton said. “He’s a really good shot-maker … he makes smart decisions and I’m really impressed with him.”

Haliburton has no problem taking a backseat this year behind Weiler-Babb and Wigginton. He said last year he wants to learn from Weiler-Babb, who emerged as the Cyclones’ leading passer a season ago.

“He does everything the right way,” Haliburton said. “He sees the floor real well, and I think that could be really big for me as freshman, getting to play under Nick.”

The key for Haliburton is taking those lessons and applying them in practice this season. That’s easier said than done, however.

Haliburton has been dealing with the mono virus this fall.

“It’s something I’ve had before,” he said. “A lot of people don’t know you can get it twice. I didn’t know that.”

When he’s been healthy, he’s had the chance to run Iowa State’s second unit in practice. Starting around the sixth day of practice, he’s been able to play more point guard rather than being forced to fit in on the wing.

“Tyrese has been great,” Prohm said. “We’ve thrown him in there with some of the older guys to kind of help his progression.

“He hasn’t had a lot of point guard reps with Nick and Lindell at point guard … but he’s got a great IQ, and the guys like him — he’s got a great personality.”

Prohm has also commended Haliburton’s attitude, saying he’s “about the team” and he has bought in.

On the court, the challenge for Haliburton will be finding playing time as a freshman. The Cyclones had a lot of turnover from last year’s team to this season, but the returning production mostly comes from Wigginton and Weiler-Babb in the backcourt.

“It means a lot, coming from a guy like Lindell who is one of our better players,” Haliburton said of Wigginton’s praise. “I didn’t know what to expect coming in, when I committed last year.”

That duo ranked first and fourth on the team in scoring, first and second in assists and first and second in steals. Stealing minutes from either of them will be a tough task, especially with other guards like Marial Shayok and Talen Horton-Tucker added to the mix.

Haliburton is already learning from Weiler-Babb.

“Just a lot of stuff like leading my team in practice and talking guys through stuff,” Haliburton said. “As point guards we gotta be the communicator on the floor.”

The next Diante Garrett?

Haliburton might remind Cyclone fans of a former Iowa State guard who had a similar background.

Diante Garrett, who played from 2007-11, spent two years in the NBA for the Phoenix Suns and Utah Jazz. Just like Haliburton, Garrett was a Wisconsin product who came in as a tall, skinny guard.

Prohm has made the comparison between the two, dating back to Haliburton’s signing day last November.

If Haliburton can replicate the success Garrett had, the Cyclones will be happy with that return. Garrett was second-team All-Big 12 as a senior after averaging 17.3 points and 6.1 assists per game.

Garrett and Haliburton are both listed at 6-foot-4 or taller, giving them a size advantage over most point guards. That also means, in Iowa State’s free-flowing system that often throws players into positions they’re not used to, Haliburton could be forced to guard taller players.

“I’m most comfortable on probably the one and the two right now,” Haliburton said with a laugh. “Hopefully by next year I’ll be able to guard the three but I don’t know if my body’s ready to be guarding bigger dudes like that.”

While Haliburton won’t be expected to start every game this year, he is the frontrunner to take the torch as the next floor general at Iowa State.