Story County candidates face off in panel and set policy goals

The State Capitol Building’s golden dome makes it easy to spot when nearing Iowa’s largest city. 

Kaitlyn Hood

A candidate forum Friday tackled some of the biggest problems facing Iowa residents and outlined policy goals of those involved.

The forum was separated into two sections, one showcasing nine candidates running for seats in the Iowa Legislature, and four running for the Story County Board of Supervisors.

It began with the nine representatives running for the Iowa Legislator. Including Iowa State’s own Herman Quirmbach and Eric Cooper, along with Annette Sweeney, Dave Deyoe, Brenda Brink, Lisa Heddens, Beth Wessel-Kroeschell, Rob Bacon and Tim Winter.

Candidates introduced themselves by discussing what they believe to be the most prevalent problems in Iowa. The most common problems introduced were unemployment, healthcare and the funding of education.

Two incumbent Republican candidates for state office, Sweeney in the state Senate and Deyoe in the state House of Representatives, prioritized improvement of the workforce.

Two Ames Democrats Lisa Heddens and Beth Wessel-Kroeschell, who are running in their respective house districts, focused on the topic of healthcare.

Brenda Brink, who is running against Deyoe, focused on mental health, while Tim Winter, a Democrat running for the state House of Representatives, focused on both mental healthcare and general healthcare.

Democratic candidate for state Senate, Herman Quirmbach, Sweeney, Wessel-Kroeschell and Winter placed education among their top priorities.

Both K-12 and higher education were reoccurring topics throughout the forum. The candidates were asked if they see decreased funding in higher education as an issue and what they would do about it.

Parties from both sides said there is a need for greater funding, especially for higher education.

Many said they supported this because there are many students who come to universities, like Iowa State, that are stuck with outstanding student loans.

These loans may lead students to seek out opportunities outside the state to pay them off and many students do not come back.

“We are losing the future of Iowa,” Winter said.

Cooper used this point to say there is not a need for more funding of higher education. He said if there are so many students leaving, there is no way for them to return the investment the state gave to them.

He said they leave the state when the legislature is handing them what they need to be successful, yet they do not return the favor to the community that helped them get started.

“I work at the university and I wouldn’t give them a dime more,” Cooper said. “Keep cutting. Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut.”

Quirmbach responded to Cooper by saying “my opponent wants to cut, cut, cut, cut, cut higher education and wants to abandon medicaid and medicare… the answers to those two questions tells you I’m the better candidate.”

While Cooper does not support funding of higher education, he said he values the advancement of public education.

He said, “[We should] inject market forces into the public education process” so children have more options and competition among schools so they can go to any school they want.

The majority of the candidates said working across the aisle would be one of the best ways to help Iowa resolve its current issues.

The second part of the forum consisted of the four candidates running for the Story County Board of Supervisors, including Republicans Rick Sanders and Marty Chitty; and Democrats Linda Murken and Josh Opperman.

Questions began with the candidates sharing what they think is Iowa’s greatest challenge.

Sanders, Chitty and Opperman all agreed that one of the biggest problems Story County is facing is its workforce.

Murken said some of the biggest problems are climate change and the proper use of agriculture and cover crops.

Candidates had similar responses when asked how the Board of Supervisors could best assist in continuing to grow the county’s population and attract talent to Story County and what role they see the university playing in that.

Both Murken and Sanders said the quality of life needs to be sustained and improved.

“People aren’t going to move here unless they feel the quality of life is good, education is good, there are good amenities and the structure is good,” Murken said.

Opperman pointed to housing in Ames as the problem behind attracting talent.

“Ames has outrageously expensive housing and students can’t afford to live here,” Opperman said.

Opperman went on to say that if people are to stay here after graduating, housing needs to be more affordable so they can have both a house and a job.

All three candidates agreed that by maintaining a relationship with Story County, Ames and Iowa State will be able to benefit both students and residents in the long run.

When asked about what they would do to have voices of students heard, there was a variety of responses. Chitty said students are here for only nine months of the year so there is no real reason for them to have input.

Murkenn said she partly agreed and they need to focus on Story County as a whole, but she agreed that meeting should be moved around the county from Nevada, so more people will get to be involved across the county.

Sanders said he will continue to talk to the students, speak in classes and around campus to hear what they have to say.

In closing, Sanders said he will continue to be loyal to the people of Story County and continue to work across party lines to accomplish common goals.

Chitty promised to be fiscally responsible and use his experiences to do a good job for the people of Story County.

Murken and Opperman had similar goals to work in non-partisanship and work hard for the people they would represent.