Blood Drive to set up in Great Hall next week

A sign directing donors to the blood drive in the Memorial Union on Oct. 2.

Willa Colville

One donation could potentially save up to three lives. 

That is, one blood donation, according to the American Red Cross. 

Starting Monday, students and faculty at Iowa State will have the opportunity to donate their blood during the annual fall blood drive. 

The drive will take place in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union from Monday until Thursday. Donors can stop in anytime between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.

The Iowa State Blood Drive (ISUBD) is a student-run organization which was established more than fifty years ago, in 1962. The ISUBD is recognized as one of the largest student-run blood drives in the nation and holds a drive once per semester, according to their website.

The ISUBD works with numerous blood centers across the nation, including American Red Cross, LifeServe and Mississippi Valley Blood Center.

These nonprofit organizations help all over the country in response to disasters such as hurricanes, mass shootings and everyday problems such as homelessness, hunger and mental illness.

Last year’s Iowa State Fall Blood Drive collected approximately 2,000 donations, potentially saving more than 5,000 lives, according to their press release. 

The goal of the Iowa State Blood Drive is to combat the need for blood we have in America each year. In fact, every two seconds a person in the U.S. needs blood, according to the American Red Cross. While this is true, the Iowa State Blood Drive website claims that less than 10 percent of those eligible to donate do so.

Here are ten tips to ensure an effortless blood donation, according to the press release: