Brad Dell leads ISU Theatre into a new year

Averi.Baudler.Com

For many Iowa State students and professors, heading back to school in the fall brings with it the familiarity of old routines from previous semesters with the excitement of what is new to come. This is especially the case for the Iowa State theatre department and its students, as this year they have a familiar face taking on a new position.

Brad Dell has been at Iowa State since 2005 and in that time has directed nearly thirty plays, musicals and operas for the theatre program. This year, however, marks his first year as the Director of Theatre at ISU, a position that was previously held by Jane Cox.

Although Cox worked in the position for many years, Dell says that since he has taken over for her, he has received nothing but support from colleagues and students alike.

“I am blessed with wonderful colleagues and incredible support from Don Simonson, Chair of Music and Theatre, and the entirety of ISU’s upper administration,” Dell said. “Our faculty is truly a group of extraordinary innovators and our students are eager and passionate.”

Dell believes that although this position holds more responsibility and requirements than he has had in years before, he is looking forward to continuing to make Iowa State theatre more connected to the rest of the campus through the ISU Theatre CoLab Initiative.

“My daily time has changed a good bit, but I am loving the new rhythm and pace,” Dell said. “I am most excited about fostering connections with our new ISU Theatre CoLab Initiative and enabling the brilliance of our faculty and students to really thrive.”

The CoLab Initiative seeks to foster collaboration and engagement between ISU Theatre and other groups both within ISU’s campus and throughout the broader community. Their goal is for these connections to create citizen artistry, inspiration and an expansion of opportunities for ISU students, faculty and staff, Dell said.

Dell credits the students’ cooperation and support as the main reason why his transition into this position has gone so smoothly.

“Our students are incredible … their input and their needs have truly inspired the direction that we are heading,” Dell said, “They seem passionate about being challenged to continue to expand their outlook and impact beyond our program and into the world at large.”

Dell realizes that being the Director of Theatre will bring with it more responsibilities and challenges, but he is ready for what this first year will hold.

“Absolutely the largest challenge will be finding enough hours in the day,” Dell said. “We will need to balance our exploration of new initiatives while still prioritizing the very basic of requirements of running the program, teaching classes and grading.”

Although Dell will now have a much busier schedule than in years past, he plans to continue to be involved in shows for Iowa State theatre and will direct “Orpheus in the Underworld” and “Godspell” for the 2018-2019 season.