Iowa State football adds 12th regular season game

Iowa State Students wait out the rain delay during the Iowa State vs South Dakota football game. 

Trevor Holbrook

The question weighing on many Iowa State football fans’ minds has been: will Iowa State add a 12th game?

The athletic department answered that question on Wednesday, announcing Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) program Incarnate Word will travel to Ames for a game on Dec. 1.

“Although it’s been a challenging process to identify a school that was willing and able to play in Ames on Dec. 1, we are thankful to the Cardinals’ Athletics Director Brian Wickstrom and Coach Eric Morris in helping us schedule this game,” said Iowa State Athletic Director Jamie Pollard in a release. “We explored multiple options to give our student-athletes every opportunity to compete and, ultimately, be eligible to participate in a bowl game.

“Our student-athletes only have so many chances in their career to play collegiate football. I’m very grateful to the administration at UIW for helping us provide our student-athletes, as well as our marching band and spirit squad another chance to represent Iowa State University.”

The game won’t be played if Iowa State qualifies for the Big 12 Championship on Dec. 1, but the game could decide if the Cyclones receive a sixth win and a bowl berth.

Iowa State will offer tickets to fans who had tickets to the Cyclones’ opener against South Dakota State that was canceled.

“We recognize the process of re-issuing both tickets and parking will present its own set of challenges for our department and fans,” Pollard said. “Our staff will be in contact directly with our fans as soon as more details are finalized.”

The Cyclones agreed to pay Incarnate Word $300,000 and Iowa State will provide the Cardinals with a charter flight to Des Moines.

If Iowa State emerges as one of the teams in the Big 12 Championship, the Cyclones won’t owe Incarnate Word.

Incarnate Word is 0-2 on the season with a 62-30 loss to New Mexico and a 58-16 loss to North Texas.