Preview: Student government takes on multiple funding requests and Big XII Voter Challenge on Wednesday

Vice President Juan Bibiloni presides over the Student Government for their first meeting of the semester in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union Wednesday night.

Jillian Alt

Student Government will postpone discussion on trademark and review multiple funding requests as well as the Big XII Voter Challenge during their third meeting of the semester.  

Previous meetings this year have focused on Iowa State’s trademark policy. However, the original bill was killed in last week’s meeting and a new resolution is still in progress by Sen. Sam Freestone. 

Until then, the trademark discussion has been shelved and Student Government will move onto other items like the Big XII Voter Challenge.

The University of Texas has approached Iowa State to partake in The Big XII Voter Challenge — an event where the schools of the Big 12 see who has the highest increased voter turnout.

Student Government will introduce a resolution at the meeting tomorrow. 

Their discussion will also include the possibility of funding African Night, an annual event to celebrate diversity and African culture. Requested for the event is $4,902 for food and venue.

Discussions will be held over funding the National Society of Black Engineers to go to a convention in Texas for roughly $200. Funding for the Pride alliance attending the Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Ally College Conference in Wichita, Kansas for $2,232 will also be discussed.

Student Government will also consider funding $2,540.28 for The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers & Latinos in Science and Engineering to go to a conference in Ohio. 

Senators to the rules committee, the civic engagement committee and at-large members to the civic engagement committee will be seated at the meeting as well.