CALS candidate Daniel Robison outlines his vision for Iowa State in first open forum

College of Agriculture and Life Science’s first candidate for Dean Daniel Robison gives his presentation on his plan for Iowa State in the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union. “I want to be a part of your team,” said Robison. 

Katie Brinkman

The first open forum in the search for the next dean of the Iowa State College of Agriculture and Life Sciences was held Tuesday.

Daniel Robison, who was announced as the first of three candidates for the position last week, hosted the forum. 

Robison currently serves as the dean of West Virginia University’s Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design where he has been since 2012. Previously, he served as the associate dean for research at the College of Natural Resources at North Carolina State University.

Robison went on to outline his vision that he would bring to the table for Iowa State if selected. His vision includes the importance of education, training students for the future and that solutions start with students.

“I am what I appear to be,” Robison said. “I’m not trying to put on a show.”

With these ideas in mind, Robison said that he does not want to assume that he knows best for the college.

“You don’t walk into a situation and behave as if you know better than the locals,” Robison quoted from Kofi Annan, who served as secretary-general of the United Nations from 1997-2006.

Robison highlighted the importance of education during the forum. He emphasized that all education should be supported by state and federal governments.

“It’s a regretful reflection of society that higher education is viewed as burden,” Robison said.

Training students for the future was another key point in Robison’s vision. He stressed that the core of universities is to bring students to campus through teaching and training.

Another one of Robison’s ideals is that students have solutions for the future. He said that solutions are in the minds of the students, which are inspired by a great faculty. Robison believes that “students are the future.”

After being asked about transferring credits with community colleges, Robison said that large universities should not deny transfer credits from community colleges. He also mentioned a project in Roscoe, Texas, where they went on to redefine K-12 education by encouraging students to take college courses.

“Aspiration shouldn’t change or be limited to students at any age,” Robison said.

The second candidate will be announced later this week. They will be visiting campus from Sept. 16 to Sept. 18. Their open forum will be held on Sept. 17 from 3 to 4 p.m. in the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union.