CALS Dean finalists to visit campus in September

Alex Connor/Iowa State Daily

Curtiss Hall is home to the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. The three finalists for the next CALS dean will be coming to Iowa State in September.

Annelise Wells

Three finalists for the next endowed dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) and Director of the Iowa Agricultural and Home Economics Experiment Station will be coming to campus next month.

The candidates will be announced one business day before their respective visit. Each candidate will hold an open forum to interact with students, faculty, staff and stakeholders.

According to the office of the senior vice president and provost, the first candidate will be on campus Sept. 3 to 5 with an open forum on Sept. 4. The forum will be held 3 to 4 p.m. in the Cardinal Room in the Memorial Union.

The second candidate will be visiting Sept. 16 to 18. Their open forum will be held on Sept. 17 from to 3 to 4 p.m. in the Cardinal Room in the Memorial Union.

The final candidate will be at Iowa State from Sept. 26 to 28. The location of the open forum is yet to be determined but will be held from 3 to 4 p.m. on Sept. 27.

Previously, President Wendy Wintersteen served as the endowed dean of CALS from 2006 until being selected as Iowa State’s president in 2017.

After Winersteen was selected as president, Joe Colletti, senior associate dean in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, has been serving as the college’s interim dean since Nov. 20.

“It has been a great privilege to watch the college grow in both stature and impact over the last 40 years, and I am humbled by the opportunity to lead the college during the interim period,” said Colletti in an interview with the Iowa State Daily.

David Spalding, Raisbeck endowed dean of the Debbie and Jerry Ivy College of Business, and Guru Rao, associate vice president for research, are the co-committee chairs of the national search.