Welcome to Voices: Meet your editor

Whitney+Mason

Whitney Mason

Whitney Mason

Not that long ago, something caught my eyes as I was looking through my news feed.

It was the photos from Beyonce’s September Vogue cover.

Now I typically do not spend a whole lot of time clicking through a campaign of photos, but the issue’s cover had one statement that lured me right in: “everyone’s voice counts.”

This statement was something I have aspired to live by since I was a young girl. Since I was young I remember people always pointing out my ability to strike up a conversation with anyone I come into contact with and there was something from those conversations I always managed to remember and take away.

This is now what I call perspectives.

Two fall semesters ago, I was like the many freshmen walking around Central Campus. I struggled with navigating which building to go to next and juggling the new responsibilities I had on my plate.

College was exciting and seemed daring, but with all the new perspectives, new responsibilities, everything being new, I quickly was consumed and didn’t know where I could go to take an escape from everything.

It was not long before I found myself stumbling into the Iowa State Daily’s office, solidifying the beginning of my mark here at Iowa State.

For my first two years, I proudly served as the multicultural reporter for the Daily, quickly dedicating just about all my time and energy to giving those who before did not feel they were given a platform an opportunity to share their voices.

From discussing experiences and unforeseen futures with undocumented immigrants in our community to being allowed to see the life of a male collegiate cheerleader, one perspective after another allowed me to learn that our community is stronger when we allow each other to embrace our perspectives.

People do not have to be identical for a community to thrive. This is easily seen if we reference history. We see two individuals who vehemently opposed one another, help establish the nation we all reside in.

Now, if you don’t have any idea of the two individuals I am referring to, I’ll give you some hints: one wrote the Declaration of Independence and the other has his portrait on the $10 bill.

The launching of Voices at the Daily not only garnered excitement through our newsroom but through our community as well. It simply became our bread and butter, one of the many ways we can continue our mission to inform and educate our community.

Voices became something that meant the most to me even when I was a reporter. During my last days as a reporter, Voices was something I knew could serve as my unofficial gift back to the community.

It seems many people feel disconnected and pitted against one another. However, everyday I see an opportunity for people to embrace one another and grow from one another.

My hope this upcoming year is that you too embrace Voices and let it challenge and enlighten you intellectually. Through live events such as storytelling events and written content, my main mission is that it will generate dialogue on diversity and inclusion here in our community.

If there’s anything I would like for you to take away from this greeting, I hope this question will be it.

“How will you start making sure everyone’s voices count?”

While you ponder this, I will make sure to make myself present in the community. You can catch me relaxing on Central Campus or greeting everyone who walks by me in Hamilton Hall.

You may or may not have class with me or walk beside me on campus, but when you’re ready to answer my proposed question, I’ll be ready to have that conversation with you.