Need to Know: Undergraduate research

Photo courtesy of Ames Laboratory, USDOE

Devyn Leeson

Iowa State is a world renowned research institution with a long history of groundbreaking innovations in a wide variety of fields.

Due to this history, every undergraduate at Iowa State has a unique opportunity to participate in research pertaining to their chosen field of study. By participating in undergraduate research students can gain valuable skills, connect with faculty, discover new passions in their field of study and help make a difference in the world.

In addition, research experiences can make you a more competitive applicant when applying to graduate programs and during the job search after graduation. 

There are a number of informational meetings at the beginning of the school year to help educate students on undergraduate research and about finding a research mentor. These meetings are optional but a great starting point for students interested in research.

A full list of up to date locations and times can be found on http://www.undergradresearch.iastate.edu.

While many programs are college or major specific, there are a number of university-wide programs all students are welcome to apply for:  

University Honors Program

All members of the First-Year Honors Program (FHP) can apply to work on a research project with a faculty member during the spring semester. More information on the First-Year Mentor Program will be given to FHP members later in the fall semester. More information on FHP can be found on the University Honors Program website.

Every student who graduates with honors is required to complete an independent research or creative project and present in an end of the year poster presentation. Students can contact the honors program staff by calling 515-294-4371 or stopping by the office located in the Jischke Honors Building.

Undergraduate Research Assistantship Program

This program is available to juniors and seniors with a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or above who qualify for work study. They seek applicants who plan on pursuing graduate coursework and strive to create a research environment similar to one found in graduate programs.

This is one of the few paid research opportunities at Iowa State, and every student interested in graduate work should look into the application process. More information on deadlines and application procedures can be found on their website,

ISU McNair Program

The ISU McNair program is a option for students planning to pursue graduate coursework.

According to the program’s website, they aim to “increase the attainment of P.h.D degrees by students from underrepresented segments of society.”

This unique opportunity allows students to participate in faculty led research and connect with mentors all while exposing them to aspects of graduate school culture. For application requirements and deadlines visit the programs website at https://www.mcnair.iastate.edu.

Applications are often used to find dedicated and passionate students. In order to remain competitive during the application process, it is important to keep an up-to-date resume on hand along with a clear idea what you want out of the program you are applying for.

Always keep an open mind when looking into various research opportunities. Many larger projects need a wide range of students with different backgrounds, so it is often beneficial to inquire about projects outside your area of study.

For a full list of college specific opportunities and programs go to http://www.undergradresearch.iastate.edu, click on the tab “For Students”, and from the dropdown menu select “Finding Opportunities.” If you are unable to find an opportunity that interests you make sure to talk to your advisor about major-specific opportunities not listed on the site.