Iowa State wrestling preview: 157-pounds

Sophomore Chase Straw wrestling a Hawkeye opponent during the CyHawk dual meet on Feb. 18 at the Hilton Coliseum. 

Trevor Holbrook

Editor’s note: This is part five of a 10-part series breaking down the Iowa State wrestling roster weight-by-weight. While athletes switching to different weights is inevitable, for the sake of simplicity and consistency, this series will base the weights off of past weights.

The 157-pound spot is another weight that will likely see the same wrestler as last season with Chase Straw.

After Straw, the Cyclone 157-pounders provide little experience.

Chase Straw

Straw’s 17-15 record isn’t too glamorous, but the 157-pounder faced a lot of quality opponents and tacked on a couple nice wins in his redshirt sophomore season.

Straw’s most impressive win came in the Iowa State and Wyoming dual over Archie Colgan by a 4-3 score.

Straw faced stellar competition most of the season, and he didn’t gather a ton of wins, but he showed the knack of keeping matches close.

During the regular season, North Dakota State’s Clay Ream, South Dakota State’s Luke Zilverberg, Iowa’s Michael Kemmerer and Pittsburgh’s Taleb Rahmani beat Straw, but Straw minimized the losses to only decisions.

In the Big 12 Tournament, Straw lost 2-0 to Zilverberg. Next, he knocked off Oklahoma State’s Tristan Moran, 10-3. In his third match, Straw defeated Northern Iowa’s Logan Ryan, 8-2.

He matched up with Ream in the Big 12 Tournament too, and Ream walked away with another win, 12-4. To end the tournament and his season, Straw won 6-5 over Air Force’s Alex Mossing.

All in all, Straw proved he can be solid in the dual lineup and avoid big losses. If Straw can generate more offense, he can grab more team points.

Austin Stotts

Stotts didn’t compete during his sophomore season, but he did letter at Simpson College the previous year. Stotts qualified for the Iowa state championship twice in high school and finished his high school career with a 121-48 record.

Stotts is somewhat of a mystery in the Iowa State room with the lack of collegiate experience to judge from.

David Carr

The highly-touted recruit likely won’t make any dual appearances in his first season at Iowa State. Kevin Dresser showed a long-term mindset with Austin Gomez and Marcus Coleman last season, and Carr will likely be a similar case.

Carr finished his high school career with multiple state titles and the No. 5 overall pound-for-pound ranking by FloWrestling.com. Carr is also the son of Nate Carr — a former Iowa State wrestler who won three NCAA Championships.

This summer Carr finished fourth at the U.S. Open.

Isaac Judge

Judge — the 2018 Iowa 2A 152-pound champion — will also likely utilize a redshirt. Between Judge and Carr, the duo will be building blocks in Iowa State’s middleweight dual lineup.