Men’s basketball notebook: Injury updates, Cam Lard and Horton-Tucker

Freshman Cameron Lard celebrates after making a shot against the Horned Frogs during their game against TCU on Feb. 21 at the Hilton Coliseum. 

Noah Rohlfing

Reporters had a chance on Tuesday to talk to Iowa State’s incoming freshmen (Talen Horton-Tucker, Zion Griffin, George Conditt and Tyrese Haliburton), along with head coach Steve Prohm, before their afternoon practice.

This was the first time freshmen had been made available for interviews.

Topics ranged from injury updates to how the freshmen are adjusting to life in Ames and new information on Cameron Lard.

Injury rundown

A number of Cyclone players were hampered by injuries this summer, from Zion Griffin’s knee surgery to transfer guard Prentiss Nixon going under the knife to remove bone spurs in his left ankle.

Griffin underwent surgery a week before the start of the YMCA Cap City League. While he didn’t participate in the competition, he was around the games frequently, supporting his fellow teammates and putting shots up at times between games.

Griffin said Tuesday that his recovery had suffered a couple of setbacks.

“A couple tweaks, a couple setbacks in that I’ve got to take better care of it, stay on top of things,” Griffin said. “But I’m getting back to it now.”

Griffin added that there is no set return date for him to be fully cleared, saying that he doesn’t want to rush back and risk re-injury.

Prohm gave an update on all of the Cyclones’ other injury concerns on Tuesday as well, including the health of junior Solomon Young and redshirt senior Nick Weiler-Babb.

“Solo is coming back, he’ll be live today and everything,” Prohm said. “He’s just maybe a step or two behind because of conditioning.”

As for Weiler-Babb, Prohm said that he’s “looked good,” but that his conditioning is a bit behind because of time spent at his internship in Kansas City over the summer.

Redshirt senior guard Marial Shayok’s absence at the Cap City League was called a “precaution” by Prohm after Shayok had sprained his ankle prior to returning to Ames for the summer. Prentiss Nixon will play 5-on-0 on Tuesday, Prohm added.

Cam Lard to return to campus in mid-August

Cam Lard has been absent from the Iowa State campus this summer after deciding to spend time in an off-campus wellness program. On Tuesday, Prohm said that Lard will be returning to campus “mid-August”.

“He’s doing well, I’m very pleased with him,” Prohm said of Lard’s progress.

When asked if there would be anything Lard had to do to rejoin the program, Prohm said no and then added, “When he’s back, he’s back.”

Prohm also added that he has been in contact with Lard this summer “nearly every other night” through phone or text, as well as visiting him in-person. Cyclones assistant coach William Small and Lard’s Iowa State teammates have also made efforts to talk to Lard and keep in touch.

Prohm’s final point was to make clear that this isn’t about a short-term fix for Lard, but about changing habits to help him in the future.

“It’s about what can I do for Cameron, that Cameron’s successful in 5, 10, 15 years, and not just in this moment,” Prohm said. “If I just wanted [Lard] in the moment, I wouldn’t be doing anything. I need him to change his life, from a standpoint of down the road.”

Horton-Tucker recaps USA U18s training camp experience

Talen Horton-Tucker is likely the most talked-about of the new Iowa State freshmen. A 6-foot-4, 238-pound versatile player, who, as Prohm has mentioned previously, can play positions 1-through-4, Horton-Tucker received an invitation to the Team USA Men’s Basketball U18s training camp in June.

Horton-Tucker impressed many while at the camp, but failed to make the final roster.

Horton-Tucker said that going up against great players during the camp “helped me realize where I was at,” and that, “Everything happens for a reason.”

At the camp, Horton-Tucker was under the tutelage of longtime Kansas head coach Bill Self. Talen was complimentary of Self’s coaching ability, but added that he was disappointed he wasn’t selected for the final roster.

“Personally, I feel like I should have [made the roster],” Horton-Tucker said. “I feel like I had a chance.”