Cap City League roster breakdown series: Lions Club of Iowa

Michael Jacobson dunked the ball with one hand in a Capital City League game on July 9.

Cliff Wise

Lions Club of Iowa bucked the trend in the Cap City League draft and went with size right off the bat.

Iowa State transfer forward Michael Jacobson was picked with the Lions Club’s first pick in the Iowa State round. Standing at 6-foot-9 inches, he brings length to a guard-based league.

The Waukee-native Jacobson played in all 34 games as a freshman at Nebraska. Jacobson started in 23 of them. Averaging 4.7 points and 4.3 rebounds a game, he made an impact in the post with 28 blocks. Jacobson ranked first in blocks per game and third among the Cornhuskers with 147 rebounds.

As a sophomore, Jacobson started all 31 game for the Cornhuskers, increasing his averages to six points, 6.2 rebounds and 24 minutes per game. After having multiple double-figure games and hitting some impactful shots in some major games, Jacobson received accomplishments off the court as well, earning Academic All-Big Ten honors.

Paired with Jacobson is another Cyclone in Tyrese Haliburton. Haliburton was selected ninth overall in the Iowa State round. The highly-anticipated Haliburton will be a freshman this upcoming season for the Cyclones.

As a 3-star point guard (according to 247Sports), he was the fourth-ranked guard in Wisconsin and 27th nationally. Standing at 6-foot-5, Haliburton adds size and athleticism to the Iowa State and Lions Club of Iowa’s guard position.

As a senior at Oshkosh High School, the talented guard averaged 22.9 points per game, while reaching double-figures in every game he played. In addition to his 67 percent shooting from the floor and 49 percent from 3-point range, Haliburton shot 84 percent from the free throw line.

Haliburton also averaged 6.2 assists, 5.1 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 1.7 blocks per game. The Iowa State freshman was named Gatorade Player of the Year in Wisconsin.

Jacobson and Haliburton can be an impactful duo for the Cyclones as both of them are set to be counted on for the 2018-2019 season.

In the Drake round of the draft, Lions Club took 6-foot-5 guard Anthony Murphy, a junior college transfer and twin brother of fellow Drake signee Tremell Murphy. Murphy averaged 10.4 points per game his sophomore season. 

With its second pick in the Drake round, Lions Club took Garrett Sturtz, an incoming freshman from Newton, Iowa who averaged 34.7 points per game his senior year.

Andrew Madison, a 6-foot-8 forward from DMACC, will add size alongside Jacobson. 

Vinny Curta, a senior guard for Grinnell, scored 52 points in a game last season and averaged 32.7 points per game as a junior.

Lion’s Club rounded out its roster with Jaylan White of the University of Mary, Riley McCoy of Grand View, Des Moines North senior Tyreke Locure and Bryan Heath of Michigan Tech.