Iowa State men’s golf wraps up day one of the NCAA Regionals in first place

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Senior Scott Fernandez talks with ISU golf coach Andrew Tank at practice on April 14.

Trevor Holbrook

Iowa State and 12 other teams teed off on Monday morning at the Stockton Regional. The Cyclones jumped out to first place on the back nine, and the clubs stayed hot on the front nine, keeping them in first place.

Sophomore Sam Vincent was the instigator of the hot start for Iowa State. The back nine was friendly to Vincent, resulting in three birdies and a bogey for the sophomore.

On the front nine, Vincent snagged two birdies, but a double-bogey and a bogey knocked his overall score to 3-under-par 69.

Alongside Vincent was redshirt senior Denzel Ieremia, who contributed a 4-under-par performance.

Ieremia showed consistency, tallying 2-under-par on both nines. Ieremia contributed five birdies, an eagle, a bogey and a double-bogey. 

Freshman Lachlan Barker also finished under par with a round of one-under-par 71. Barker had five birdies, but a pair of bogeys and a double-bogey limited his contributions.

Rounding out the Iowa State team was freshman Frank Lindwall and sophomore Tripp Kinney. Lindwall finished 2-under-par with five birdies and three bogeys.

Kinney was 3-over-par with two birdies, three bogeys and a double-bogey on his card.

The Cyclones will hope to maintain their pace on Tuesday and Wednesday. Iowa State needs to be in the top five to advance to the NCAA Championships on May 25-30.