Dreaming up the perfect Iowa State TBT team

Former ISU forward Diante Garrett celebrates during the Iowa State/Colorado game held Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at Hilton Coliseum. Iowa State won 95-90.

With the major college sports’ offseason in full swing, and The Basketball Tournament (TBT) being right around the corner, two members of the Iowa State Daily sports desk decided to put together two dream teams of former Cyclones that we want to see in it.

The teams feature players from a couple different eras that are still young enough to play with the talent in TBT.

Current NBA players are not permitted to play in The Basketball Tournament, but we ignored that rule for the sake of putting together the best and most unique teams we could.

Connor Ferguson’s Starting Five

1/PG: Monte Morris

2/SG: Diante Garrett

3/SF: Tyrus McGee

4/PF: Georges Niang

5/C: Royce White

Also featuring

Scott Christopherson

Simeon Carter

Aaron Marner’s Starting Five

1/PG: Diante Garrett

2/SG: Matt Thomas

3/SF: Rahshon Clark

4/PF: Royce White

5/C: Craig Brackins

Players that appear on both teams

Diante Garrett

Aaron’s point guard

Garrett served a really important role for Iowa State in a tumultuous period. He bridged the gap between the McDermott and Hoiberg eras and he was one of only a few competent Big 12 players on Iowa State’s roster in 2010-11.

After a cup of coffee in the NBA with Utah and Phoenix, Garrett now plays overseas. He never had a winning record in college, but this team would give him a chance to lead a talented roster that could win the whole tournament.

Connor’s shooting guard

Okay. I know. Diante Garrett was a point guard at Iowa State, and a very good one at that. Although, it was too difficult to pick between him and Morris, and I think he could get a lot of things done at the two spot.

Garrett’s a real blast from the past. He was a stand-out in his first three seasons at Iowa State averaging 6.3 points per game as a freshman and then hanging nine points per game in the two years after.

Although, he really stepped up in his senior season. Under new head coach at the time, Fred Hoiberg, Garrett thrived. Along with being one of the nation’s most improved players, the Milwaukee native averaged 17.3 points per game and lead the Big 12 in assists with 6.1.

I would love to see him on the court with any of the other four players I listed in my starting lineup.

Royce White

Connor’s Center

White is one of the best passers Iowa State fans have ever seen. The unselfish way that he shared the ball can’t be compared to many others when discussing his season in Ames.

The Hilton Magic Legends have already announced White is going to play for them, and with his recent departure from the NBL  its not hard to believe that his motor will be running at full boar.

Aaron’s power forward

Royce White is, well, Royce White. He’s arguably the most talented player in school history. In his only year on campus, he led Iowa State in points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks, which is almost unheard of in college basketball.

His biggest flaw on the court was his outside shooting, but with the team surrounding him, White would have plenty of room to operate.

Splitting the difference

Now that the popular choices are out of the way, check out where we chose a different set of players.

Monte Morris

Connor’s point guard

Monte Morris might be the most decorated player Iowa State has to offer in the past 20 years of basketball. Morris, of course, lead the NCAA in the assist-to-turnover ratio statistic for three of his four years at the school.

Morris ranked around second place when it comes to the best passers Iowa State has had over the years. Of course, number one is also included in this list, just a little bit later.

Matt Thomas

Aaron’s shooting guard

For my money, Matt Thomas is the best shooter in Iowa State history. He hit 89 3-pointers as a senior, which is good for a tie for fifth all-time in school history (he tied Fred Hoiberg and, well, himself from the year before).

Thomas also holds third place in school history for career 3-pointers, just 16 treys behind Jake Sullivan for the record. But Thomas was incredibly consistent over his last two seasons in Ames and I think having a reliable 3-point shooter to spark the offense would open the floor for the rest fo the team.

Tyrus McGee with Scott Christopherson

Connor’s small forwards

Perhaps two of the most electrifying players Iowa State has ever seen, Tyrus McGee and Scott Christopherson lit up Hilton Coliseum crowds with their number of three-pointers. Both players, despite not playing four years at Iowa State, sit in the top 10 of three-pointers made in a career at the school.

Those two are a big reason why a team that is 245th in three-point attempts can still, “Live and die by the three,” according to a handful of television commentators.

Rashon Clark

Aaron’s small forward

Rahshon Clark had his best season as a sophomore, when he averaged 13.1 points per game and added over five rebounds. He was third on the team in scoring, first in rebounds, third in assists, third in steals and first in blocks that year. He made his mark as a versatile, do-it-all athlete with a reputation for dunking over anyone.

Georges Niang

Connor’s power forward

It’s obvious. Niang has been one of the most well known and respected athletes that Iowa State University, not just the basketball team, has ever had. Even though he is known for his off the court antics and easygoing personality, his best skill came in the big moments. Iowa State will never have someone that can take over a game like LeBron James, but Niang might just be as close as they will ever come.

Craig Brackins

Aaron’s center

Craig Brackins is similar to Diante Garrett in that he never had a winning season in college. Brackins also made the NBA for a short time but is now overseas.

Brackins could throw up a huge game better than almost anyone, like when he went for 42 points and 14 rebounds against Kansas as a sophomore. Brackins would have served as a great stretch five thanks to his perimeter scoring ability and rebounding.

Simeon Carter

Connor’s bench hype-squad leader

Every team, no matter the talent on it, needs an unconventional player to get the bench hyped up. Although Carter only averaged 2.6 minutes per game during his time at Iowa State, he provided an electric spark on the bench that helped the team to back-to-back NCAA tournaments. Give me all of 6-8 forward sitting courtside this summer.

The Hilton Magic Legends will play their first games of the tournament at the Midwest Regional in Columbus, OH from July 20-22.