Iowa State women finish seventh at Big 12 Outdoor Championships

Iowa State then-freshman Cailie Logue runs the third leg of the 4×1,600 at the Drake Relays. Logue and the Cyclones finished in second place with a time of 19:26.25.

Spencer Suckow

The Iowa State women’s track and field team wrapped up the the Big 12 Outdoor Championships in Waco, Texas on Sunday. 

Like the first two days, there were standout performances from the Cyclone women on the final day. Ultimately, the team finished seventh in the overall weekend standings out of ten teams with 65 points.

The event with the most anticipation coming into the day was the triple jump, where senior Jhoanmy Luque looked to win the seventh Big 12 championship in her illustrious career.  With a lead for much of the event, it looked like Luque would do just that heading into the final jumps.

However, on the second-to-last jump of the competition, Luque’s mark of 44-feet 6-inches was bested by Texas Tech senior Paetyn Revell’s 44-feet 7-and-1/2-inch jump. Luque ultimately finished second in the event and gave the Cyclones eight team points for her efforts.

In the running events, the Cyclones got points in the 1,500 meter dash from freshman Karly Ackley, who finished in fifth place with a time of 4:32.38.  Ackley’s performance gave Iowa State an additional four points in the standings.

Later in the day, juniors Jasmine Staebler and Erinn Stenman-Fahey gave the Cyclone women a pair of top ten finishers in the 800 meter dash.  Staebler took third place after entering the race as the top seed with a time of 2:04.55.

Stenman-Fahey, meanwhile, got seventh place and a new personal record with a time of 2:05.81.

The strongest event on Sunday for the Iowa State women as a whole was the 5,000 meter run, where the Cyclones had three of the top eight finishers. For the second time in three days, Iowa State had runners finish in second and third place thanks to the performances of freshman Cailie Logue and junior Anne Frisbie.

Logue earned second place with a time of 16:36.06, while Frisbie finished just behind her at 16:36.70 to take third. Junior Kelly Naumann also got a point for Iowa State by finishing eighth place with a time of 17:03.76.

Other top ten finishers for the Cyclone women were freshmen Essence Henderson in the shot put (tenth place, 48-feet 8-and-3/4 inches) and Jalaiya Bartley in the triple jump (tenth place, 40-feet 1-and-1/2-inches).

The next meet involving any Cyclones will be the NCAA West Preliminaries in Sacramento, California, which will begin on Thursday, May 24.