10 things to know about student organizations at Iowa State

Willa Colville

Freshman year of college can be overwhelming.

Moving away from home and being surrounded by hundreds of strangers every day can be a little scary. However, stepping out of your comfort zone and finding your community can help ease the stress.

This is why students are encouraged to get involved on campus. With more than 850 student organizations, there are many opportunities for students to meet new people and find their community within Iowa State. Here are 10 things students should know regarding student organizations before starting school this fall.

1. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. While attending college for the first time is already a step outside of one’s comfort zone, it is important to try new things and take advantage of the opportunities you are given.

2. There are more clubs on campus than you realize. There are more than 850 student organizations at Iowa State, so you should be able to find a club to match your interests, everything from religious organizations to intramural sports teams to special interest clubs such as the Woodworking Club or Birding Club.

3. You can meet people with similar interests. If you decide to join a club because you think it will be fun, chances are the other members of that club think the same thing. Joining clubs is another way to connect with students who are like-minded and enjoy the same activities as you. 

4. Attend ClubFest. Each semester, ClubFest takes over Central Campus for one day. At ClubFest, hundreds of student organizations set up informational booths and recruit students to join their organization.

5. Join clubs related to your major. Learning about your major and gaining experience outside of a classroom setting will help you decide if your major will set you on the path for what you want to do for the rest of your life.

6. There is no pressure to commit. You may join a club and realize it is not for you — there is no pressure to commit to a club. If you do not like one club, shop around until you find one that clicks with you. 

7. You may have the opportunity to give back to the community. There are a multitude of student organizations at Iowa State dedicated to service and volunteerism, such as Dance Marathon or Up Til Dawn for St. Jude. If you are interested in helping others, whether that be in the Ames community or across the world, check out one of the many service clubs.

8. Getting involved will help expand your resume. Joining clubs related to your major and in general also serve as resume builders. Showing employers that your participated or maybe even led a student organization will help set you apart from other job or internship applicants. 

9. You don’t even have to leave your residence hall to join a club. Each residence hall has its own council made up of students who live in the hall. Hall councils plan activities for students living in residence halls to get to know each other. If event planning and getting to know people in your building are important to you, talk to your community adviser or hall director about how to join Hall Council. 

10. Relieve stress and have fun. College and schoolwork can be very stressful at times, so it is important to take time for yourself. Joining a club and meeting new people can make for a great study break.

For information and a list of student organizations at Iowa State University visit https://stuorg.iastate.edu.