ISUAA’s Senior Week to celebrate graduates this week

Courtesy of Mary Kate Misak and the Iowa State University Alumni Association

This week the Iowa State University Alumni Association and Student Alumni Leadership Councils will be holding events to celebrate this spring’s graduating seniors. 

Willa Colville

This week, the Iowa State University Alumni Association (ISUAA) is taking the time to celebrate graduating seniors.

Starting today, the ISUAA will be holding Senior Week, with events on campus for seniors to prepare for graduation and celebrate their remaining weeks at Iowa State University.

Monday

Throughout the day, seniors can pick up everything they will need for commencement during the Gradfest event, taking place in from noon to 5 p.m. on the third floor of the Alumni Center.

The Iowa State Bookstore will be selling packages including caps, gowns and tassels at this event and throughout the week. The ISUAA will also be selling legacy cords to seniors with parents or grandparents who are Iowa State Alumni, which is new this year. 

Tuesday

The Grad Breakfast will be served from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union. Pre-registration is required for the event, where students will be served omelets and other breakfast food.

Wednesday

“Weiners for Seniors” will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Central Campus. The ISUAA will be serving hotdogs, chips and other food for seniors to enjoy. 

Thursday

Seniors will have the chance to ask young alumni questions about postgrad life during “Adulting 101,” held from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Alumni Center. The ISUAA encourages seniors to come to the event with questions about life after graduation.

Friday

The “Senior Send Off” will top off the week, and aim to welcome seniors into their role as alumni. ISUAA President Jeff Johnson will speak to the seniors, drinks will be served and prizes, as well as a chance to win money from a “cash machine,” will be offered. The event will take place from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Alumni Center.

The ISUAA will also be teaming up with all of their Student Alumni Leadership Councils to create the first annual STATE Day. During the event, Homecoming Central will reveal the theme for Homecoming 2018, and Cyclone Alley will be giving away prizes to students who attended basketball games this year.

The councils will also be holding the ninth Annual Nearly Naked Mile. The Nearly Naked Mile invites all participants to donate at least one article of clothing in order to run or walk “nearly naked” across campus.

All clothing donated will be given to the Des Moines Agape Pregnancy Center. Those wishing to participate in this event can register online here or register the day of the event at 5 p.m. Beginning at 4 p.m. Friday, pre-race activities, such as Zumba, will be held on Central Campus. 

Throughout the week, seniors are also invited to complete a list of Iowa State traditions through the ISUAA app for smartphones. 

Mary Kate Misak, assistant director of constituent engagement for the ISUAA, believes this week will be important for seniors.

“We want to celebrate our graduating seniors. Holding all of these events is a great way to help them with the transition into our alumni family,” she said. 

For more information on Senior Week, click here.