Five things to know about the history of The Fashion Show

Maddie Leopardo/Iowa State Daily

Models wearing looks from the Abasi Rosborough Autumn/Winter 2017 collection “Dissident” raise their fists at The Fashion Show event held at Stephens Auditorium on April 8. Abdul Abasi and Greg Rosborough were the guest designers this year. The collection was inspired by a photo of a woman, Ieshia Evans, as she was being arrested by police officers during a Black Lives Matter protest in Baton Rouge, La.

Maria Pimentel-Diaz

The Fashion Show has been running for the past 36 years.

This Saturday, the annual Fashion Show will take place at 7 p.m. in Stephens Auditorium.

The event is one of the largest student-run events in the nation with over 150 student-designed pieces and an annual attendance of over 2,500 people.

Here are some facts about the beginning of the Fashion Show we all know about today:

1. 1982– The first show was held in MacKay Hall.

2. 1988– This year’s showcase was the first to feature a catwalk.

3. 1998– Then called “The Showcase,” the Fashion Show was held in LeBaron Hall and was the first year judges started to be selective of the students who were able to participate. Twenty students participated in this showcase.

4. 2000– The “Techno 200” showcase was the first time the show was presented in Fisher Theater to allow for a bigger audience. Also, this was the first year everything featured in the show was student-made.

5. 2005– The show was moved to Stephens Auditorium for the first time, which is where it has been celebrated ever since.