Iowa State improves Big 12 record to 3-8 with win over Texas Tech

Sami Williams celebrates a hit during Iowa State’s 11-4 loss to Texas on Friday afternoon at the Cyclone Sports Complex.

Hannah Allen

The Iowa State softball team made a come back in the late innings to beat Texas Tech 7-5. 

The Cyclones took the mound for game two against Texas Tech with Brianna Weilbacher. The senior right-hander pitched five innings and gave up five runs on eleven hits. She had four strikeouts on the day. 

Texas Tech threatened with an early 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning after the first run was scored on an RBI single. The other three runs were scored off of a three-run home run from sophomore Kelsie Hamilton. 

Iowa State started its rally in the top of the third inning when freshman Skyler Ramos got on base with a single to the pitcher. Up to the plate came the sophomore leadoff hitter Sami Williams.

Williams hit a two-run home run to right field to cut Texas Tech’s lead in half. It was her 10th home run of the season. The score was 4-2 Texas Tech. 

The scoring didn’t stop there for the Cyclones. 

In the next inning, sophomore Logan Schaben tied the game with a two-run home run to center field. Kaylee Bosworth would score and the game became tied 4-4.

The Red Raiders added another run in the bottom of the fourth inning. An RBI single gave them a 5-4 lead. 

In the top of the fifth inning, the Cyclones would battle back again to tie the game at 5-5. Senior Nychole Antillon hit a solo home run to right field. It was her fifth home run of the season. 

The top of the sixth inning is when the Cyclones took over.

A single by Williams and Sydney Stites started the inning off for the Cyclones. Williams would score on a fielders choice and an error by Texas Techs’ second baseman. The score was 6-5 Iowa State. 

Antillon hit an RBI groundout to score Stites and to give the Cyclones a 7-5 lead. 

Junior right-handed pitcher Savannah Sanders finished the game for Iowa State. She pitched the last two innings giving up two hits. She had one strikeout. 

The Cyclones rallied back to beat the Red Raiders 7-5 and improved their Big 12 record to 3-8. 

Iowa State will face Texas Tech again on Sunday at noon.