Patton: After selling textbooks back to ISU Book Store, student spends earnings on a pack of gum

Photo: Blake Lanser/Iowa State Daily

Students are given the option to sell their used and new books back to the ISU Book Store. Students recieve a fraction of their original price.

Davis Patton

Editor’s note: This is a satirical opinion piece. The names of people mentioned and their quotes are completely fictional.

Adam Perez, junior in psychology, was visibly ecstatic while standing in line at Hy-Vee this week. After selling his six textbooks back to the Iowa State University Book Store at the end of the semester, he was excitedly spending his earnings.

Perez purchased six textbooks for his spring semester back in January. The total price he paid at that time was just under $390. This number is lower than the nationwide average of nearly $600 per semester.

Perez has attempted to sell back his books to the University Book Store in past years. He has always chosen to keep his books after seeing the low offers the book store makes on his books.

But not this year.

“I knew that I could leave the book store with a little bit of cash,” Perez told the Daily while standing in line. “But I never would have predicted a whole three dollars!”

For Perez’s six textbooks, the book store gave him $3.12. An hour later at Hy-Vee, Perez was ready to splurge his cash on a pack of Orbit gum.

“I thought they had made a mistake at first,” Perez explained. “In fact, I still feel like there’s no way they even made a profit from offering me such a great deal.”

Perez wasn’t the only one who thought there may be a mistake. Deborah Thompson was the cashier who assisted Perez’s historical transaction, and she also thought there was an error.

“I called over a manager after I rang up three books in a row for over $0.50. That’s so unlikely, I was worried we might have been hacked,” Thompson recalled.

Perez can’t wait for next year. His plan is to purchase even more textbooks in hopes of an even better return when he sells them back. His goal is to be able to afford a bag of Doritos, preferably party size.