Iowa State to partake in national walkout

gun violence protest

Whitney Mason

In response to a national walkout planned to advocate against gun violence and the 19th anniversary of the Columbine High School shooting on Friday April 20, students have organized to have a similar walkout to occur on Iowa State campus.

The walkout will start at 10 a.m., which is the same time planned for the national walkout, and will be held in the free speech zone on campus. The walkout will begin with a moment of silence followed by speeches from planned and unplanned speakers. The walkout is expected to last for about an hour.

The event is being organized by members of students organizations on campus such as Society for the Advancement of Gender Equity (SAGE) and Iowa State College Democrats.

Even with involvement by College Democrats, one of the organizers, Taylor Blair, sophomore in industrial design, said steps have been taken to make sure the event is non-partisan.

“Overall, sensible gun reform should not be a partisan issue,” Blair said. “Especially when such a large majority of Americans supports such legislation.”

According to Gallup polls conducted from March 1 through March 8, 67 percent of responders said stricter laws need to be in place covering the sale of firearms, compared to 4 percent of responders who said it needed to be less strict and 28 percent who said current strictness of sales were just fine.

Questions asked by Gallup from October 5 to October 11, 2017 showed 95 percent in favor for requiring background checks for all gun purchases.

According to organizers, there will be representation from the Black Student Alliance and Student Government present at the walkout.

“The activism coming in the aftermath of the Parkland shooting is sorely-needed and inspiring,” Blair said. “But it is no less so than the work done by Black Lives Matter and other groups fighting against police violence in communities of color.”

Blair said from the early stages of planning there was an emphasis to encompasses all forms of gun violence and not just school shootings.

“Having a diverse group of people planning, and especially speaking at the rally ensures no one’s experience or point of views are ignored, or worse misrepresented,” Blair said.

On the event’s Facebook page, organizers were asking for people to sign up to speak, but at Friday’s event people are welcomed to talk following the planned speakers.

Two planned speakers are Julian Neely, newly elected study body president, and Malik Burton, president of the Black Student Alliance.

During the walkout, there will be opportunities for people to register to vote and attendees will be able to write on postcards and send them to elected officials.

For expected crowds for the walkout, Blair said it’s hard to say how many people are expected to attend, however she and other organizers are optimistic there will be a considerable turnout.

Walkouts will also take place at local high schools including Ames High School, Johnston High School and Roosevelt High School in Des Moines. All of the walkouts will also began at 10 a.m.