City of Ames announces CyRide 2.0

A student waits to get on CyRide, the public transit system available to students in Ames.

Tristan Wade

The city of Ames’ transit system is undergoing a major redesign, with the announcement of CyRide 2.0 Monday. The changes include new schedules, routes and new fares.

The changes will begin to take place this summer and will continue to be phased in throughout the fall 2018 school semester.

CyRide made these changes based on a year-long study it conducted as well as public comments and input the current system has received.

“We’ve spent a significant amount of time analyzing city development patterns and encouraging community suggestions,” said Sheri Kyras, CyRide director of transit. “Now CyRide is ready to implement a new structure that builds upon its past to enhance its future.”

One large change that goes into effect on May 5 is that CyRide customers will pay $1 for fare, lowering from the current fare of $1.25 for adults. This is returning to prices that existed in 2011 for the system. 

A full list of the route and schedule changes can be found on CyRide’s website.

This summer, effective from May 5 to Aug. 12, there will be changes to multiple major routes, such as the 1 Red and 3 Blue, among others. Two routes, the 4 Gray and the 10 Pink, are ending to be replaced the the East Ames Service Extension (EASE).

When the fall 2018 semester begins, more changes will be phased in, effective from Aug. 13 to May 3, 2019. These changes include some routes with increased frequency, more routes operating over Iowa State breaks and a few new routes.

Additionally, there will be some policy changes for CyRide. Among these is the “runner policy.” According to CyRide’s website, “buses will no longer be able to wait for late passengers running to the bus stop.”

This is in the interest of making sure schedules run on time, according to CyRide. Some of the route changes are meant to ensure buses come more frequently.