Chase Straw finds success at 157-pounds

Redshirt Sophomore Chase Straw lifts Northern Colorado wrestler Tyler Kinn into the air Jan. 5 in Hilton Coliseum.  The cyclones were narrowly defeated by the UNC Bears 20-22. 

Trevor Holbrook

Iowa State claimed its eighth dual win on Friday over Fresno State. In the 2016-17 season, the Cyclones nearly finished winless, but Iowa State managed to scratch out one win.

What’s been the key to Iowa State’s turnaround?

Anytime a coaching change takes place, and the program hires a head coach from outside the program, changes will take place.

Iowa State coach Kevin Dresser and his staff’s arrival, along with their coaching approach, helped lead that change.

“We are very hands on − intimate is a word that comes to mind. We really invest and we really care,” said associate head coach Mike Zadick at wrestling media day. “We’ll take someone who maybe is decent and hopefully develop them to be very good and we’ll take somebody who is very good and make them great.”

Inserting young athletes like redshirt freshmen Ian Parker and Jarrett Degen into the lineup assisted the rest of the Cyclone roster.

On the other hand, experienced wrestlers like redshirt senior Dane Pestano and redshirt junior Marcus Harrington shone at times this season.

The infusion of youth paired with the upperclassmen finding their groove helped lead the Cyclones, but a concealed key to Iowa State’s success lies in the 157-pound spot.

In Iowa State’s 1-12 season, the Cyclones finished 4-9 at 157-pounds. The 4-9 record wasn’t the worst for Iowa State, but the Cyclones missed opportunities at 157.

Of the nine losses, six resulted in decisions, including three losses decided by a single point. With a couple more escapes or takedowns, Iowa State’s 157-pound spot could’ve been a strength last season.

Then-redshirt sophomore Renaldo Rodriguez-Spencer and then-redshirt freshman Colston DiBlasi split time at 157 last season.

Now, Rodriguez-Spencer competes at Grand View University, while DiBlasi wrestled at 165-pounds this season before announcing his plans to transfer from Iowa State.

With an opening at 157, redshirt sophomore Chase Straw grasped the spot.

“Chase is one of our leaders,” Dresser said. “He’s one of our quiet leaders. He’s a tough guy in the room.”

Before Straw claimed the 157-pound spot, he paid his dues.

Straw initially redshirted his first year on campus. During his redshirt campaign, the Winthrop, Iowa, native accumulated a 13-5 record, and his teammates crowned him as the Iowa State Freshman of the Year.

During Iowa State’s tough 1-12 season, Straw received his first chance at Big 12 wrestling. The Cyclones slotted Straw in the 149-pound spot for a majority of the season.

Straw accumulated a 14-10 record, but the redshirt freshman’s record slumped to 1-5 in dual matches.

“I think that I’m naturally a 157-pounder, but I was just doing it for the team last year,” Straw said. “I think it was a little too much for me, but now that I’m at 157, things are starting to work out for me.”

Bumping up to 157 has paid dividends for Straw this season.

After a 1-5 redshirt freshman dual season, Straw has improved to 9-8 in duals.

“I don’t know if [my offense has] gotten better, [I’m] just more confident in my training and knowing that I’m not going to get dead tired,” Straw said.

While Straw finds himself just over the .500 threshold, the redshirt sophomore has faced strong competition.

Straw knocked off Wyoming’s Archie Colgan, the No. 10 157-pounder according to InterMat, via a 4-3 decision. Straw also wrestled North Dakota State’s No. 9 Clayton Ream and South Dakota State’s Luke Zilverberg, losing by decision in both matches.

In the eight dual matches he’s lost, Straw minimized the damage. Only one loss—a 10-2 major decision to Arizona State’s No. 6 Josh Shields—resulted in sacrificing bonus points to Iowa State’s opponent.

Straw’s losses have been close and some of his wins have been close, but at times, Straw piled on the points en route to victory.

When Straw loses, his opponents’ win by an average margin of about three points. When Straw wins, the redshirt sophomore wins by an average margin of seven points.

“I still don’t think the Iowa State fans have seen the real Chase Straw yet,” Dresser said before the Virginia Duals. “I think he’s still a little conservative when he goes out there. He doesn’t really let it fly, but he’s figuring out how to win and sometimes you have to figure out how to win before you start blowing guys out.”

Since then, Straw has compiled a 5-6 record with two of his wins ending with a technical fall and one win from a major decision.

On Jan. 21, Cyclones fans caught a glimpse of the let-it-fly version of Straw. Iowa State trailed West Virginia 11-5; the Cyclones needed a spark before intermission.

Straw matched up with Zachary Moore. Straw showcased more aggression on offense than the 157-pounder generally does.

“I shot a lot in that match, and slowly it started to wear on him,” Straw said. “Then I could start getting my offense even more easily.”

In the third period with a decision locked up for Straw, the redshirt sophomore purposely let Moore up after a takedown, using a technique called catch and release.

Straw thought Moore was gassed and would give up more takedowns easily. Straw fell short of tacking on bonus points, winning by a 13-6 decision, but a different mindset appeared: an aggressive mindset.

A mindset Dresser envisions will help lighten the load for Straw’s teammates in the future.

“I think down the road, only being a sophomore, I think he’s a guy that could turn into a bonus-point guy for us,” Dresser said.