Three takeaways: Cyclones drop another home game

Senior guard Donovan Jackson drives towards the basket during Iowa State’s senior night game against Oklahoma State on Feb. 27 in Hilton Coliseum. The Cowboys defeated the Cyclones 80-71.

Aaron Marner

Iowa State fell to Oklahoma State, 80-71 on Tuesday night. It was the final home game for seniors Donovan Jackson, Jeff Beverly and Hans Brase.

Here are three takeaways from the game.

Poor defense dooms Cyclones

Iowa State knew Oklahoma State had a potent offense. The Cowboys scored 79 in their recent win over Texas Tech and also put up 96 in an overtime win over Iowa State earlier this season.

The Cyclones just had no answer.

Oklahoma State got 1.33 points per possession in the first half en route to a 48-43 lead.

“At the end of the day, we’ve got to figure out a way to become a better defensive team,” said coach Steve Prohm. “We just haven’t done it. You can analyze offense all you want, but we scored 43 in the first half and we’re down five.

“It’s just gonna take a lot of hard work.”

Iowa State has now lost five straight games, and in four of those, the opposing team has scored 80 or more points. Kansas State’s 78-point performance is the lone exception.

As of Tuesday night, the Cyclones were ranked 147th in the nation in adjusted defensive efficiency, according to KenPom.

Seniors earn one final start

Iowa State gave a nod to its three seniors as all three were put into the starting lineup for their final home game.

Jackson is a regular in the starting lineup, having started all 28 games he’s played this season. Brase had only one start in a Cyclone uniform prior to Tuesday, and Beverly has been in and out of the lineup all year.

“I’m proud of those three seniors, especially [Jackson],” Prohm said. “That’s not easy to do, to step out in front of the fans and speak after a tough night.

“I hope these young guys understand how many good people they’ve got pulling for them, and that we have to be better.”

Jackson finished with 17 points on 6-of-15 shooting, including five made 3-pointers. He’s now up to fifth-place in school history with 92 treys this year. The school record for a single season belongs to Dedric Willoughby at 102.

Beverly and Brase combined to shoot 1-for-6 in 33 minutes for a total of four points and nine rebounds.

Freshmen continue tear

All season long, Iowa State has had to rely on freshmen to produce.

Tuesday night was more of the same. Lindell Wigginton had his 11th 20-point game of the season, extending his own Iowa State freshman record. He also added to his freshman 3-point record (now at 65) after he knocked down 3-of-6 shots from deep against Oklahoma State.

Additionally, Terrence Lewis tallied a career-high in points. He dropped 12, thanks to a career-high four made 3-pointers. Over the past three games, Lewis has hit 9-of-16 3-pointers after going 7-of-37 before that stretch.

“Lately I’ve just been slowly getting more comfortable,” Lewis said. “Coach Prohm has just been on me lately about playing hard, being aggressive and giving it my all on the court.

“[Earlier in the season] I wasn’t putting up as much time on my shot as I’m supposed to be doing.”