Cyclone Nation takes over the Iowa Capitol

President Wendy Wintersteen talks with Ames Laboratory representatives Alissa Brammer (left) and Adam Schwartz (right) at this year’s ISU Day at the Capitol on Monday. This is President Wintersteen’s first year going as president, and she believed it to be a great success. 

Jill Alt

Over a hundred Iowa State University administrators, faculty members, staff members, students and alumni gathered at the state house for this year’s ISU Day at the Capitol in Des Moines.

There were approximately 30 booths from a variety of Iowa State programs including the College of Human Sciences, Student Government, The college of Liberal Arts and Sciences and many others present at the Capitol building in Des Moines from 1:00 to 3:30 p.m. on Monday, interacting with students and alumni about what Iowa State has to offer.

Among the displays, one of the most visited booths was the Liberty Bowl trophy. The Cyclones won the Liberty bowl over Memphis in December 2017; it was Iowa State’s first bowl win since 2009.

This year was President Wendy Wintersteen’s first ISU Day at the Capitol as University President after being selected in October 2017, following the departure of now-Auburn President Steven Leath. Wintersteen praised the Extension and Outreach program, the students and the faculty for the success of the event. 

“Iowa State Day at the Capitol has been a great success. The faculty and staff did a great job today,” Wintersteen said. “Our Extension and Outreach program and our students’ hard work really made today a success.”

This year, Senior Vice President of Student Affairs Martino Harmon’s attended for the first time, as last year he had a conflict. He also considered ISU Day at the Capitol to be a success. 

“This is my first opportunity to be here and its very exciting,” Harmon said. “There are so many people and so much energy.” 

Those who visited were most likely greeted by Cy as he made his way around the Capitol, interacting with anyone who passed him and offering a high feather to his fans.

Following the event there will be a legislative reception from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Embassy Suites in Des Moines.