65th Annual Engineering Week comes next week

Photo: Nick Nelson/Iowa State Daily

Grant Imahara, from Discovery Channel’s “MythBusters,” speaks in Stephens Auditorium on Saturday, Sept. 17, as the opening event for E-Week 2011. He told stories about working on the show as well as his career working on special effects for movies.  

Christian Simmons

Emily Fleming, senior in industrial engineering, and Adam Sievers, senior in mechanical engineering, have been planning Engineering Week (E-Week) since April of last year. With a team of around 45 people, not including volunteer crew members, the two hope for another successful E-Week.

The two are proud of the work put in and believe this to be an improvement from years past.

Fleming said every year the E-Week committee improves upon last year looking at attendance at different events last year and student input.

The duo said they’re most excited about the plan to have a theme at this year’s E-Week: movies.

Each day will have some sort of movie film, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Marvel, Pirates of the Caribbean or Disney.

Fleming and Sievers agree that this week is supposed to be about relaxing and celebrating being engineers, as well as getting to know the faculty in the college.

Being engineers themselves, they understand the stress and work that goes into being an engineer. The week is supposed to be a chance to ease the stress and have a good time surrounded by fellow engineers.

There is also a large emphasis on the meal buttons.

The buttons are open to anyone of any major, and allow you to eat five meals over the course of the week for five dollars total.

This year E-Week is increasing the button lunches to 650 people, as they were in high demand in years past due to the cheap cost per person.

Meals are catered from local restaurants including Hickory Park, Fuzzy’s, Fazoli’s and Hy-Vee, as well as burgers on Tuesday made by the agriculture and biosystems department.

Fleming and Sievers want to make sure students know it is a social event. They said grab some friends and have fun.

“We try to cater [the events] to what students want to see,” said Fleming.

Here is a full run-down of the events happening over E-Week.

Sunday:

E-Lympics, State Gym, East Gym 1-3 p.m. 

Teams or individuals will have a chance to compete at various athletic and non-athletic competitions with prizes being giftcards.

Monday:

Graduate Student Panel, Marston 2155 6-7:30 p.m.

Students will have a chance to make connections with researchers at Iowa State and learn about the research happening around the College of Engineering.

Tuesday:

VRAC Presentation, Howe Hall, Lee Liu Auditorium, 4-5 p.m. 

A “4-D” simulation attendees will have the chance to experience what the Virtual Reality Applications Center is capable of.

Wednesday:

Men’s Basketball Game Watch, Jack Trice Stadium, Sukup End Zone, 7:30-10 p.m.

Students will be able to watch the Iowa State vs. TCU basketball game in Sukup End Zone. There is also trivia and a nacho bar.

Thursday:

Grant Imahara Keynote Speech, Memorial Union, Great Hall 8 p.m. 

Grant Imahara from “Mythbusters” and his new show “White Rabbit” will be speaking at the Memorial Union about engineering entertainment.

Friday:

Fazoli’s Button Lunch, Howe Attrium, 11 a.m.-11 p.m.

Like everyday, there will be food available for those who purchase a $5 button.