Events announced to celebrate black history month

Black History Month

Whitney Mason

Iowa State will continue its tradition of celebrating Black History Month with events throughout February. Nationally, universities began celebrating Black History Month in 1970 at Kent State University in Ohio.

During the entire month, there will be a display of books written by African American authors in Parks Library.

Feb. 3—Meet George Washington Carver

This performance by Iowa State alumni Paxton Williams will be presenting the life of George Washington Carver, who was Iowa State’s first black student. The program will also include performances by Corinthian Baptist Church’s Worship and Praise Team and musicians. The event will be at Reiman Ballroom in the Alumni Center beginning at 2 p.m. and another performance will be at 7:30 p.m. on the same day.

Feb. 3- Operation Pipelines

Panels, workshops and a resource fair will  expose multicultural students to resources and provide knowledge to help students navigate graduate and professional schools’ admission process. The event will start at 8:30 a.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Feb. 8- Soul Food Lunch

The themed menu will take place at all Iowa State dining centers during the lunch hours provided through ISU Dining.

Feb. 13- African Diaspora and Black Experience Panel

The panel discussion will have Iowa State students who recently migrated to the United States from other countries and students who are here in the United States multi-generationally, often as descendants of ancestors in slavery. The event will start at 7 p.m. in the Multicultural Center in the Memorial Union.

Feb. 17- Black Panther Movie Screening

Hosted by the Black Faculty and Staff Association, the organization will host the screening of the latest Marvel franchise movie, which is Marvel’s first movie with an all-black cast.

Feb. 22- “A Negro From the South”

This is an exhibition by Cameron Gray, graduate student in art and visual culture. The exhibition can be viewed by the public from Feb. 19 to March 9. There will also be a People of Color in the Arts panel and discussion. The panelists include: Brenda Jones, professor in art and visual culture, Mitchell Squire, professor in architecture, Eulanda Sanders, professor in apparel, events and hospitality management, and Gray. Dr. Reginald Stewart, vice president for the Office for Diversity and Inclusion, will facilitate the discussion. The event will start at 6 p.m. at the Octagon Center for Arts in Ames.

Feb. 22- Blaxicans and the Future of Identity in the United States

Walter Thompson-Hernandez is a New York Times multimedia journalist based out of Los Angeles. His feature stories have been seen in other publications such as NPR, CNN, the Los Angeles Times and BuzzFeed. His work is centered on multiracial identity within in the Latinx communities in the United States and the Americas.

March 2- ISU AfterDark, performance by Damon Wayans Jr.

Damon Wayans Jr. will give a free comedy performance during ISU AfterDark at 11 p.m. Wayans has starred on comedies such as “New Girl” and “Happy Endings.”