Election commission fines StuGov candidates for campaign violations

Julian Neely and Juan Bibiloni (left) and Benjamin Whittington and Jocelyn Simms (right) are running for president and vice president of the Student Government.

Alex Connor

The Student Government election commission fined the Whittington-Simms campaign $140 and the Neely-Bibiloni campaign $60 at its meeting Monday night.

Ben Whittington and Jocelyn Simms, who are running on a platform to “unlock the potential” of Iowa State, were found guilty of their posters being in violation of Election Code.

Bradlee Fair, who serves on the election commission, said in an email that the posters were a violation because they were not approved by the commission and were missing a statement of funding.  

The posters were also missing the Election Commission seal.

The Election Commission also discussed the possible violation of t-shirts distributed by the Whittington-Simms campaign, but dropped the charges because the t-shirts were not publicly disseminated. 

As for Julian Neely and Juan Bibiloni, their campaign was fined $60 for not attaching a disclaimer to an email saying it wasn’t a random email, but rather sent for campaign purposes.

According to the Election Code, all campaign materials distributed through email must carbon copy the election commissioner and have the following text attached in its header: “This message is not a random mailing. It is being sent/posted by candidate/slate, a candidate for Student Government.”

Per committee minutes, this is Neely and Bibiloni’s first offense. 

Whittington and Simms are facing their second offense. According to Election Code, “After the third violation, the candidates will be subject to additional penalties including, but not limited to: limitations on campaigning or removal from ballot.”