Board of Regents discuss possible changes on second day

Iowa State President Wendy Wintersteen speaks to the board about the new and different things Iowa State has begun to implement to make the school function better and more economically during the Board of Regents meeting Feb. 22.

Annabelle White

The Board of Regents discussed a possible raise in illegal parking fines from $30 to $50. 

The Board of Regents met at the ISU Alumni Association Center Thursday to address changes in the regent university communities. They discussed parking on campus and the launch of a new sexual misconduct Title IX discrimination prevention training at Iowa State.

The regents also discussed changes being made to campus housing and job placement rates of students graduating from Iowa State.

Iowa State proposed to increase parking rates on campus. The rates include the Memorial Union, parking lots on campus and residence hall lots. The commuter lot will remain to be free.

Parking violation tickets fines may also be increased. Going over time parking at the meters will now result in a $15 fine rather than $10 and parking without an appropriate permit in a reserved lot or space will now be a $50 fine rather than a $30.

This will be discussed at the next board meeting.

President Wendy Wintersteen had talked about launching a new sexual misconduct and Title IX discrimination prevention training. She said it’s important to address a serious issue such as sexual misconduct, and encouraged members of the ISU community to come forward if they have any knowledge or hear of any rumors about any kind of harassment or sexual misconduct.

The university is launching a new training program that is available on Feb. 26. Wintersteen sent out a campus-wide email with more details and how to access the training.

The university had mentioned the competition of housing off of campus, and how to convince students to living on campus. They compared the GPA of both students living on campus and off campus, showing that students living on campus tend to have better GPAs than students living in housing off of campus.

They also discussed graduate students being unserviced by the university and the possibility of turning the Wallace and Wilson residence halls into housing for graduate students. The university feels like it is odd to mix graduate students with undergraduates due to the vast difference of experiences they will be going through. They also proposed that the rates of the residence halls will increase.

Close to the end of the meeting, Iowa State went through the job and graduate school placement rates at the university. Iowa State has a 95 percent job placement rate within six months of graduation. There is a 97.5 percent placement rate into graduate schools.