StuGov agenda: Committee on Lectures contract up for discussion, $10,000 in funding requests

Student Government senate meetings take place every Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

Alex Connor

Senate will debate $10,000 in funding requests from student organizations Wednesday, as well as two debt contracts. 

The biggest item up for discussion includes Student Government’s agreement with the Committee on Lectures that if approved would allocate $165,000 to the Lectures program for three consecutive fiscal years, 2018 to 2021.

According to the contract, the Committee on Lectures shall present an annual report outlining its activities. The committee is also not barred from seeking additional Student Government funding should it need it. 

Other funding requests include:

• $900 to the Iranian Students and Scholars Association to celebrate Nowrooz, the Iranian and Persian New Year,
  • $3,339 to the Pakistan Student Association to host the Pakistan Chan-Basant Festival, 
  • $1,488 to PAS Club to attend a national conference in Kentucky,
  • and $4,500 to the Brazilian Student Organization to host Brazilian Carnival Night

Debt contracts up for discussion include one to Veritas, a student political publication, to be given $539.16 repaid over the course over five semesters; as well as one to Motocross to be given $4,000 repaid back to Student Government over 10 semesters. 

Internal matters up for discussion include adjusting the senate technology policy. Currently, senators are prohibited to use their computers or digital devices for personal activities, such as homework or texting, according to the Student Government bylaws. 

The bill to be discussed next week asks that this be struck from the bylaws. 

For more information or to contact your senator, visit stugov.iastate.edu. Meetings take place weekly at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.