IRHA appoints new director of events

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

The Inter-Residence Hall Association debates over a Leadership Funds transfer on March 9. The bill passed.

Isaac Carson

The Inter-Residence Hall Association began their meeting Thursday night by voting on a bill to seat a new director of events.

The bill was proposed by Cecilia Miliane, one of the IRHA Representatives from Friley. The bill nominates John Lang to the position of Director of Events. In the past Lang was the IRHA representatives for the Memorial Union.

Lang left the room and the IRHA held an open debate about the appointment. There was little debate and the body motioned to move directly into a vote.

The bill passed unanimously, naming John Lang the new director of events for the IRHA.

The Director of Finance encouraged the IRHA to propose more bills this semester.

“We have a lot of discretionary spending, more than in past years. So don’t be afraid to propose bills,” Director of Finance James Van Diest said.

The IRHA passed around a piece of paper to sign up for committees or confirm what committees they are already on.

Vice President Andrew Neller, noted that the IRHA elections are coming up. A signup sheet was passed around to gauge who would be interested in being the vice-president or president in the future. A new president and vice-president will be elected sometime in March.

When asked about the IRHA’s goals for the semester President Scott Fisk said “This semester, we are working to plan Residence Hall Week, which will be a week of events held at various locations around campus. We are also working on plans to partner with service organizations around campus and the community in order to provide service opportunities for residence hall students as a way to give back to the community.”

Fisk also added that, “We are constantly working to address issues surrounding the campus climate and encourage open and respectful dialogue.” 

The IRHA meets on Thursday nights at 7:30 in the Memorial Union.