How to run for Student Government elections

Cody Smith and Cody West (right) embrace after being announced winners of the Student Government election. 

Danielle Gehr

Whether you’re looking to become president or a senator, now is the time to start thinking about Student Government campaigns. 

Though voting day isn’t until March 9, required meetings for candidates start this week. Five informational sessions will be held this week and next week which are required for all candidates to attend. 

Jacob Zirkelbach, newly appointed election commissioner, gave more information on what a potential candidate needs to know. 

“I think the most important thing that [potential candidates] need to know, especially right now, is to go to those information sessions,” Zirkelbach said. “Right now we want to make…the entrance barrier as low as possible.” 

These informational meetings are required, but Zirkelbach said if extenuating circumstances keep people from attending the meetings, he can meet one-on-one with potential candidates. 

After the last information session, executive candidate teams will be asked to meet one-on-one with the election commission to go over election code. Zirkelbach said this is to be proactive and avoid any campaign misconduct. 

The next important deadline is Feb. 5. This is the first day people can start campaigning which is restricted before this day. By 9 p.m. that night, all candidates are required to send in their statement of intent which states they are running for office. 

Anyone who misses this deadline won’t be placed on the ballot. 

“We’re going to be as accommodating as possible and get as many people to run that want to run,” Zirkelbach said. 

These meetings are for both candidates for senate seats as well as executive candidates looking to be president or vice president of Student Government. 

This is the first year Student Government will have a Women in Student Government info session which will take place on Jan. 25 from 7 to 8 p.m. in the Multicultural Center. 

Zirkelbach said Rachael Barnes, senior in biological systems engineering, and Joi Latson, senior in global resource systems, and Zoey Shipley, senior in political science, put together the session. 

“They wanted to have a women’s session where they talked about maybe specific barriers that women face within Student Government and how they overcame them,” Zirkelbach said, “and offer up a session that calm some fears from women looking to get involved in a field and a position that is typically dominated by men.”

The Student Government website said the session is “an opportunity for females to come together and learn about the difference they can make in Student Government.” 

Other sessions will take place:

– 6-7 p.m. on Jan. 26Memorial Union Multicultural Center

– 6-7 p.m. on Jan. 24Memorial Union Gold Room

– 6-7 p.m. on Jan. 30Sloss House Room 203

– 6-7 p.m. on Feb. 1Memorial Union Cardinal Room