Top 5 stories from the past week, Nov 27- Dec 3

Maria Pimentel Diaz

1. Iowa State lecturer arrested during class: Gordon Knight, lecturer in philosophy and religious studies, was arrested on Thursday for public intoxication. ISUPD received an anonymous tip that the professor was slurring his words during class.

2. Sports

1. Football: Iowa State will play in a bowl game for the first time since 2012. On Dec. 30 the Cyclones will face No. 19 Memphis during the Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tennessee.

2. Women’s volleyball: The Cyclones fell to Wisconsin on the second round of the NCAA Tournament (25-22, 25-20, 25-23).

3. Men’s basketball: The Cyclones will face Northern Illinois on Monday at Hilton Coliseum.

4. Women’s basketball: On Saturday, the Cyclones fell to Vanderbilt 77-74. This loss puts the Cyclones 3-4 in their season.

5. Wrestling: Kanen Storr placed 8th during the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational. The other two Cyclones who wrestled, Jarret Degen and Marcus Harrington both lost their matches.

3. Iowa State student dies: Brendan Numedahl, freshman in mechanical engineering and resident of Wallace Residence Hall, died on Thursday, no foul play is suspected.

4. Student Government funds outdoor spring concert: Senate funded on Wednesday $190,000 to the Student Union Board for an activity during the spring semester what they hope will start a new tradition within the Iowa State community.

5. Matt Campbell is here to stay: The head football coach has signed a six-year multi-million dollar deal with Cyclones. During his first year, the team was 3-9 overall, but this season that record improved to 7-5 overall.