How do students prepare for dead week?

“I study by class, starting with the class I might be struggling with the most. If I feel confident in a class, I won’t study for it as much as the ones I need to work on more.” -Kelsey Daniels, Sophomore in Animal Science

Lauren Kline

The week before finals, or Dead Week, can go any number of ways- it can be productive and help students get ready for final exams, or it can be the week people decide to catch up on sleep, whether that is a good decision. 

According to the Berkley Student Learning Center, studying for finals should be structured, and time should be set aside every day to work on a given task, in an effort to eliminate procrastination, which can plague college students around this time of year. 

Students weigh in on their Dead Week study strategies and share the tactics they use for the week to help them weather the calm before the storm. 

“I study by class, starting with the class I might be struggling with the most. If I feel confident in a class, I won’t study for it as much as the ones I need to work on more.” -Kelsey Daniels, sophomore in animal science

“I make a schedule. I put down notes and things I have to do, otherwise I will forget.” -Diego Rosario, sophomore in accounting/pre-business 

“I will spend about three hours a day studying per class during Dead Week.” -Tyler Heffernen, junior in industrial engineering

“First I look over what I need to study. I decide whether the material I have should be studied in a group, or by myself. Sometimes it’s easier to study in a group.” -Macy Marek, junior in agriculture and life sciences education.

“I plan on prioritizing by test date. I am planning on using every test I have gotten back to study over. I think I will study with people so I don’t feel as isolated while studying.” -Danielle Rodriguez, freshman in engineering.

“I go buy lots of coffee. I also make sure my room is not too comfortable, otherwise I will fall asleep. Then I start studying the harder stuff first.” -Angelica Elkema, senior in music.

“I will visit my teacher’s office beforehand, and also go to the library. Usually my classmates will get together and we will go over the study guide together.” -Heather Danburg, senior in child, adult and family services.

“It’s very structured. I will study for specific classes during when they usually are so I know I have at least that much time, sometimes more to study on that subject.” -Britnee Valentine, sophomore in animal science.

“I will study for the classes I need to study most for first.” -Tom Rittenhouse, sophomore in mechanical engineering.

“I will need lots of caffeine. I will break my studying up into sections and each day I get some done. The all nighter is not your friend, so I make sure to get plenty of sleep in.” -Nolan Brown, junior in music.

In the end, do what is the right fit for you. Not everyone studies or works the same way. Find what tactics and strategies work best for you, and get to studying. Good luck!