Top 5 takeaways from Wendy Wintersteen

Hannah Olson/Iowa State Daily

President-select Wendy Wintersteen speaks during an interview with the Iowa State Daily on Nov. 3.

Jake Dalbey

Inclusivity and Free Speech Issues

A theme throughout Wintersteen’s address, she stressed the importance of student voice and input when dealing with sensitive topics including diversity and inclusion.

“What I’ve learned as dean is that you have to be willing to listen to students and their stories,” Wintersteen said.

Wintersteen stated that all student experiences with inclusivity issues deserve respect. In order to combat problems, Wintersteen touched on the importance of university follow ups after receiving a complaint.

“It’s hard to know what to change without listening,” Wintersteen said.

Regarding recent incidents involving white supremacy posters found within campus grounds, Wintersteen praised Interim President Ben Allen for his handling of the various situations.

Though she supports the benefit of a free exchange of ideas on a college campus, she also fears the possibility of an environment being created where a student may be harmed.

First Female President

“I’m humbled and honored,” Wintersteen said.

When speaking about her role as the first female president of Iowa State, Wintersteen recalled her time at a recent football game.

“As I walked through the many tents on game day, people began to come up and hug me,” Wintersteen said. “They were mostly young and old women who were proud to have a woman as president … I plan to make them proud.”

Transferring Roles and Presidential Goals

Citing her role as the dean of the college of agriculture and life sciences, Wintersteen sees the presidential position as a “matter of scaling up” the work that was achieved within the college. Confidence within her team and a strong foundation will provide support for her goal to improve existing Iowa State programs.

Along with working with her team, Wintersteen touched on her need to be “in every corner of the university” gathering information from students and faculty.

“It’s important to work various official groups to see what they have to say,” Wintersteen said. “We have to find ways to let Iowans know that we appreciate their tax dollars and show them the great work that’s being done.”

When asked how transparency would look when compared with Steven Leath, Wintersteen stated it would “come down to great communications early in order to build trust and transparency.”

Sexual Assaults

Similar to her approach when dealing with issues of inclusivity and diversity, Wintersteen hopes a greater level of conversation can help to reduce the number of sexual assaults on the Iowa State campus.

Wintersteen stated bluntly that sexual assault can not be allowed at Iowa State and praised the Green Dot Initiative for their work in raising bystander awareness.

Along with integrating the principle of community into conversations regarding assault, she also recognized that staff and faculty must be prepared to have tough conversations and listen to all students who have a story.

Enrollment Numbers and the Lease Gap

Despite large enrollment numbers, Wintersteen sees the issue as a positive in certain aspects

“With increased population comes an increase in diversity and new ideas,” Wintersteen said.

Wintersteen says the university has never been at the front of the growth curve and therefore can fall behind with the introduction of a large student population. In order to create a successful future, Wintertseen sees the need for constant conversations to help facilitate a plan that will help all Iowa State communities.

Related to the large student population, Wintersteen also touched on the lease gap dilemma for students. She hopes the university can find its role in helping the situation which means being in conversation with the Ames community and the mayor.

Though she did not provide an exact solution, it is an issue she is considering and stated that “ISU can’t achieve if Ames can’t achieve.”