Sigma Chi currently under interim suspension of organizational privileges

Ames has been ranked as the second best college town in America for 2018 by livability.com.

Sarah Muller

Sigma Chi is currently under interim suspension of organizational privileges as of Wednesday, according to the Office of Student Conduct’s (OSC) website

“We were recently informed that there has been an interim notice of suspension on our fraternity,” said Joey Stauffer, senior in mechanical engineering and president of Sigma Chi. “At this time, we have no further details, but we will comply fully with Iowa State and its Office of Student Conduct. All matters to our organization, members and future members, are taken very seriously and investigated thoroughly. We are working with Iowa State to conduct a full investigation.”

According to the 5.5.3 regulation on interim suspension of organizational privileges, this means that either the OSC administrator or Dean of Students ordered that Sigma Chi “be immediately denied university privileges and excluded from activities on the campus when may constitute a significant danger or safety, property or campus welfare.” 

Sigma Chi’s hearing will be in front of the Dean of Students. During this time the university will provide “probable cause why interim suspension was warranted” and Sigma Chi will be given the opportunity to prove why interim suspension is not warranted.  

The Office of Greek Affairs has been contacted and has not yet responded.

This is Sigma Chi’s only recorded action through OSC in four years, according to the OSC website. The interim suspension of organizational privileges is the fourth OSC action this semester and all have been greek organizations. 

In the past four years, 38 out of 42 actions by the OSC against student organizations have been greek related