Stunned Cyclones: students react to Oklahoma’s stunning defeat to Iowa State

Players getting off the bus returning back to Ames following their stunning win against Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma.

Whitney Mason

J.T. Mukungu, senior in political science, was sitting with three friends in his friend’s dorm room surprised by what they were witnessing on the television. Iowa State was about to upset the third-ranked college football team in the nation, Oklahoma at the Gaylord Memorial Stadium in Norman, Oklahoma.

“I was in disbelief when we won,” Mukungu said.

Mukungu said the win pays off for being loyal to the cardinal and gold.

Freshmen Ally Becker and McKenna Waller were in Waller’s car listening to the game when wide receiver, Allen Lazard caught his winning touchdown pass. The two ISU dance team members had been watching the game before the two decided to go to Waller’s home in Des Moines and go shopping.

On Friday night, Becker said she was joking with one of her teammates about the Cyclones possibly pulling the upset against the Sooners.

“And since we were the 31 point underdogs, we kind of had an expectation of how the game was gonna go,” Waller said. “It definitely wasn’t how it turned out.”

Becker said it was awesome for the Cyclones to end the Sooner’s 17-game winning streak, which before Saturday’s game was the longest active streak in college football.

Jared Larson, sophomore in pre-business, said this game was a nice start to flipping the script of the structure of college football.

Larson, Becker and Waller were some of the attendees who greeted the football team as they arrived back in Ames.

Larson said that this game was special because on Oct. 6, his parents celebrated their 27th wedding anniversary, mirroring the last time Iowa State beat Oklahoma in 1990, a few weeks before Larson’s parents’ wedding.

Grant Krichel, freshman in materials engineering, said he has been a Cyclones fan his whole life.

“This was the best game by far,” Krichel said.

Krichel said he and his friends had expected this game to be a blowout, but the Cyclones put up 28 unanswered points to come back and win.

“This game puts Iowa State on the map,” Krichel said. “It puts Oklahoma out of the playoffs.”

Krichel said while Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield had a good performance, he no longer sees Mayfield winning the Heisman Trophy.

“Mayfield couldn’t lead his team to the win,” Krichel said.

Krishel and Larson both said they are expecting a win next week against Kansas.

“Let’s beat Kansas next week and get to a bowl game,” Larson said.