Megan Salo: Opinion editor

Megan Salo

As far as I can remember, I have loved writing, but I never considered it as something that I could do as a career. So when I came to college I spent the first two years in majors that I thought would make me money or at least give me a steady job. I hated it.

My junior year I finally gave in and decided to focus on something I loved instead of what would make me money – journalism.

I loved my classes, but it felt like I needed more hands-on experience to decide if this was a good fit for me or if I would need to change my major yet again. I also knew that, as a junior, I was behind on experience that students who had their major set since day one.

I joined the Daily as a diversity reporter. I didn’t do much for the Daily that first semester but one of the few stories I wrote was on the white supremacy posters that appeared on campus. I also went on campus to interview people on their thoughts about the posters. This was a great first experience for me in terms of keeping me in journalism because it made me uncomfortable but in the end I was proud to have been able to engage with the public and get their voices out there.

After my junior year I decided to interview for a news or opinion editor for the summer. I really only put opinion editor down as a backup option to look like I was open to more things, but I ended up as the opinion editor for the summer and for the next year.

Writing for the opinion desk is scary. As a journalism student, you’re taught to never show your bias or make it about what you believe – just report the facts. But for opinion, you need to have a bias and you need to insert yourself into the column. This opens yourself up to a lot of people disagreeing with you, most of the time respectfully, but a lot of times not – attacking your beliefs and you as a person.

Even though I sometimes get told I write like a fifth grader or am threatened to be sued, I love working for the Daily. Seeing your name in print after you’ve worked really hard on a column is a great feeling. But the best part about working here is the people that I get to work with. When I graduate and look back on my time at the Daily, I’m not going to remember what columns got the most views or which comment was the nastiest. I’m going to remember taking coloring breaks, going to CVS for snacks or listening to the new Taylor Swift song on repeat for three days straight.

I love the Daily because of the writing experience it has given me, but I love it more because of the friendships and memories it has given me. (Okay, everyone start crying, now.)